Whisky

What single malt scotch is your favourite?

Bruichladdich

Aberlour A’Bunadh

Ardbeg

Lagavulin

Laphroaig Cask Strength

1 Like

Scotch is _ whisky _, not whisk e y.

I just poured a shot of Ardbeg Uigeadail.

In my cabinet I have, additionally, Talisker, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Macallan, Oban, and Aberlour A’bunadh.

Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and Lagavulin are Islay single malts: quite peaty (smoky). Talisker is a Skye single malt, also quite peaty. Oban is a highland single malt, while Macallan and Aberlour are Speyside whiskies. They’re not peaty at all.

I can’t seem to get Tormore any more, but that’s another good Speyside single malt.

I understand that Glendronach has a cask strength that’s quite good.

I also like Bruichladdich – another Islay single malt – but I don’t have a bottle at the moment.

I cannot stand Glenfiddich.

I’ve tried Caol Ila, but didn’t care for it much.

Here’s a link that may interest you: http://gearpatrol.com/2015/09/23/best-scotch-under-250/?read_single=1

Enjoy!

First post and already corrected, apologies.

I have only just started drinking whisky properly and I am open to some new ideas.

Thanks for the heads up on the article.

My current open bottles are:

Aberfeldy 18 year

Dalmore 12 year

Talisker 10 year

Just for info, whisky is scotch and irish is whiskey?

“There is no E in Scotland”

i’m pretty new to the game. i’m quite fond of Laphroaig for smokiness (any year) and Glenmorangie for a very easy drinking scotch, like too easy. Highland Park’s okay but age dependent. Glenfiddich is terrible but i’m sure there’s an age where it becomes acceptable. I definitely don’t like many blends.

I agree with both Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich.

Glenmorangie was one of the first I tried.

Glenfiddich is the armpit of whiskey.

Talisker 18 and Bowmore 12. Bowmore 12 is the best in that $40-$60 IMO.

I’ve never tried Bowmore; I need to.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Followed by Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10, Ardbeg Uigedail, Balvenie 12 Single Fill, Springbank 10, and recently finsihed a bottle of Benriach 10 that was decent for the price.

For something entirely different I do recommend Writers Tears, a nice irish whiskey at a decent pricepoint

Just finished a shot thereof.

Good call.

In no particular order

Aberfeldy

Caol Ila

Lagavulin

Yamazaki

This is how I plan to spend my Holiday Vacation.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS-ErOKpO4E]

Glenlivet 18 is among the best bang for your buck. It is sherry so a little sweeter.

I’m into the peats right now. Some goodies: - Lagavulin 16 - Ardbeg 10 - Laphroig 10 - Octomore 06.1

The Octomore’s are insane. The one above is 167ppm. There is another one out now which I haven’t tried that is 258ppm. It’s probably like having a campfire in your mouth. Ardbeg is 55ppm…

When I drink Lagavulin I imagine I’m drinking the ideal version of myself. That stuff is amazing. Last night for my birthday dinner I took the opportunity to order a few whiskys at once to get some direct comparisons. Ardbeg (forget what year or variety) was good, but compaired to Lagavulin, not as mesmorizing. I tried Caol IIa as well, for something completely different (thanks for the tip, buffalo guy, I actually was researching some recent scotch threads last night on my phone to get ideas wink). I really liked it! Very mild and dry. I also like Glenmorangie and Oban.

yes!

I’ve had Yamazaki’s 12-year-old single malt, but not their 18-year-old.

I did get a bottle of the 18-year-old for a coworker of mine who got transferred back to Japan. His name? Yamazaki-san.

^ Nice. I first tried Yamazaki in a whisky bar in Tokyo. I like a whisky that singes the palate with all of the flavors. I’m not a big wine guy because I don’t have the palate for the subtle notes. Its probably why I lean towards more intense Whiskys as well, the burn brings a smile to my face.

Laphroaig the peatiest of the peats?

That’s what they’d have you believe.

I haven’t had anything peatier.

I am lost in your words, I may give this burning rubber stuff another try to see if the magic happens.