Burger King to offer two kinds of hot dogs

I don’t think the United States is heading the right direction.

I read also that this would make Burger King the biggest hot dog seller in the world.

Ew. Thats most likely nasty. If I am in the Philly area, Wawa makes a solid hot dog if you are on the run, in NYC any of the Papaya places make a solid quick one as well.

Have heard some favorable, others mixed things about places like Dairy Queen & Sonic. I have eaten at sonic, although not a hot dog, and found the food to be horrible.

Seems they’ll be made by Oscar Mayer and will be 100% “beef”. I get a dog at Nathans’s a few times per year, so I’ll give a BK dog a shot.

^The one time I was in NYC, I was standing literally less than a block away from Nathan’s on Surf Avenue, and didn’t eat there. Don’t remember why. I’d like to have that one back.

Can anybody opine on the quality of their food?

I was visiting my in-laws in the hellscape that is Fargo last summer. My brother-in-law and I went downtown for some drinks and after bar close he took me by this hot dog cart that a friend of his runs. The guy had dozens of topping options and he whipped me up some special this or that and it was amazing. My wifes family was putting together a “sports*” themed family reunion/party at the lake house and we asked him how much it would cost to get him to bring the cart out and make hot dogs. He said that he clears $500-$1000 each night on a weekend if the weather is good, so he’d need $1000. Burger King might be on to something.

*- My wife’s family is great, they’re wonderful people, but they’re insane. We’ve had a “country” themed party, a pirate party, a luau, the “sports” party and several others. They made the grand kids put on a passion play one year. It’s a disgusting combination of people with too much time and money as far as I’m concerned. What ever happened to getting drunk and crashing the boat into the dock?

Is Sonic the one that gives you chicken tenders and toast? If so, I think I’ve eaten there once at like 2AM because it was the only thing open. The toast was kind of weird, but the chicken was ok - I mean, it is fried chicken. I was not drunk.

For what it is worth, I already find the Burger King menu to be too comprehensive and confusing. They need to send a clear message like “Making America Great Again”.

i’m surprised NATH is not down on the news. this cannot be good for NATH unless this creates some sort of “Hot Dog Renaissance”. in which case, this would certainly not make america great again.

What’s weird is that the couple of articles I’ve read about BK’s announcement only mention Sonic and Dairy Queen when they talk about the competition. No mentions of Nathan’s Famous.

^not so famous after all.

Do you guys even have Sonic up in Yankeeville?

I would imagine that Sonic/DQ are competitors to BK, since they are both fast food. Nathan’s would probably not be a competitor, because it’s more “niche” or “gourment”. (As best I can tell, anyway.)

That’s like saying that Per Se would be in competition with Applebee’s.

We have Sonic, but not many. I can think of 2 or 3 within 25 or so miles of me.

aren’t NATH dogs like $1 or $2 more than BK dogs? i wouldn’t say they are not in competition with each other over a couple bucks. i would imagine that BK offering dogs at half the price of NATH dogs is actually incredibly bad for NATH business as the typical hot dog eater (i.e. a somewhat gross person which i am, sometimes) will say, let’s hit up BK because i can get two nasty dogs for $4.

After playing the commercials for about 7 years they finally opened one near me when I was living in the Philly area. Food was less than exciting, the slushes were fantastic though.

Nathans is a novelty, its an ok hot dog, but its a big thing to get for tourists. God I would love a DQ in NYC, nothing can compete with a Blizzard.

^ There are no DQs in NYC?

^There is a DQ and a Sonic in every tiny town in Texas. Heck, Midland (pop. 110,000) has four Sonics and three DQs.

What we don’t have - Culver’s, Steak & Shake, Carls Jr/Hardees, Krystal/White Castle, Checkers, In-n-Out

Somehow, the thought of someone eating regularly at Nathan’s fills me with sorrow and regret.

Rumor has it they were going to open one. Just googled and apparently its open, as is another. When I moved up here in 2013 there werent any, ill have to check them out. People here suck and are too cool for chains and would rather eat some overpriced gelato or some healthy froyo crap. Glad I stand corrected and there are at least 2. Blizzards are the best summer treat there is.

Remember that there are two kinds of DQs. (I sadly found this out when I was in Monterey, CA.)

There’s the soda/ice cream shop that only serves ice cream and drinks. Then there are the family style restaurants (order at counter) with burgers, dogs, taco salads, chicken fried steak sandwiches, etc.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of Dairy Queen. But then again, other than my year in California, I’ve never been more than just a few miles from one. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Indeed. The fact that people know so much about fast food in general is depressing. Like I thought it was something you only resorted to when on long road trips or in an airport and basically had no other choice.

Hot dogs are disgusting. A quality bratwurst is acceptable, but a frozen pink hot dog… No way. Gross.