RIP, Judge Scalia.

I wish you could have waited until 2017, though.

Maybe the notorious RBG will leave after 2017, and we can restore balance to the force.

Let’s hear the conspiracy theories.

No one will get confirmed this year, so not that big of a deal other than potentially backing up the court’s docket.

^ Does it? I thought they continue as normal, but in the event of any ties the lower court’s decision will continue to stand.

They continue as normal, but can put a case on hold if they desire. I imagine they’ll do that for anything really big that they figure will end up in a tie and they want to set precedent instead of just letting the lower court decision stand. It will be interesting to see what strategy President Obama takes with his nominee. If he nominates someone who is viewed as pretty moderate, even slightly conservative, republicans in the senate will face some pressure to confirm. If Hillary isn’t indicted, I think she’ll win the nomination and general election and will almost certainly have to replace RBG, so Obama putting up a moderate conservative now could make it easier for Hillary to get a moderate liberal through later (assuming republicans stil control the senate). If republicans lose the senate, expect Hillary to replace RBG with an ultra liberal female.