Larry Summers: Donald Trump is a serious threat to American democracy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/01/larry-summers-donald-trump-is-a-serious-threat-to-american-democracy/

While comparisons between Donald Trump and Mussolini or Hitler are overwrought, Trump’s rise does illustrate how democratic processes can lose their way and turn dangerously toxic when there is intense economic frustration and widespread apprehension about the future. This is especially the case when some previously respected leaders scurry to make peace in a new order – yes Chris Christie, I mean you.

The possible election of Donald Trump as president is the greatest present threat to the prosperity and security of the United States. I have had a strong point of view on each of the last ten presidential elections, but never before had I feared that what I regarded as the wrong outcome would in the long sweep of history risk grave damage to the American project.

The problem is not with Trump’s policies, though they are wacky in the few areas where they are not indecipherable. It is that he is running as modern day man on a horseback—demagogically offering the power of his personality as a magic solution to all problems—and making clear that he is prepared to run roughshod over anything or anyone who stands in his way.

Trump has already flirted with the Ku Klux Klan and disparaged and demeaned the female half of our population. He vowed to kill the families of terrorists, use extreme forms of torture, and forbid Muslims from coming into our country. Time and again, he has claimed he will crush those who stand in his way; his promised rewrite of libel laws, permitting the punishment of t_he New York Times_ and The Washington Post for articles he does not like, will allow him to make good on this threat.

Lyndon Johnson’s celebrated biographer, Robert Caro, has written that while “power doesn’t always corrupt…[it] always reveals.” What will a demagogue with a platform like Trump’s who ascends to the presidency do with control over the NSA, FBI and IRS? What commitment will he manifest to the rule of law? Already Trump has proposed that protesters at his rallies “should have been roughed up.”

Nothing in the way he campaigned gave Richard Nixon a mandate for keeping an enemies list or engaging in dirty tricks. If he is elected, Donald Trump may think he has such a mandate. What is the basis for doubting that it will be used?

To be sure there are precedents in American politics for Trump. Precedents like Joe McCarthy, George Wallace, and Huey Long. Just as Trump does, each mined the all too rich veins of prejudice, paranoia and excess populism that lie beneath American soil. Yet even at their highest points of popularity, none of these figures looked like plausible future presidents. One shudders to think what President Huey Long would have done during the Depression, what President Joe McCarthy would have done at the height of the Cold War, or what President George Wallace would have done at the end of the turbulent 1960s.

My Harvard colleague, Niall Ferguson, suggests that William Jennings Bryan is the right precursor for Trump. This comparison seems unfair to Bryan who was a progressive populist but not a thug, as evidenced by the fact that he ended up as secretary of state in the Wilson Administration. Trump’s election would threaten our democracy. I doubt that democracy would have been threatened if Bryan had beaten McKinley.

Robert Kaganand others have suggested that Trump is the culmination of trends under way for decades in the Republican Party. I am no friend of the Tea Party or of the way in which Congress has obstructed President Obama. But the suggestion that Trump is on the same continuum as George W. Bush or even the Republican congressional leadership seems to me to be quite unfair.

Even the possibility of Trump becoming president is dangerous. The economy is already growing at a sub-two percent rate in substantial part because of a lack of confidence in a weak world economy. A growing sense that a protectionist demagogue could soon become president of the United States would surely introduce great uncertainty at home and abroad. The resulting increase in risk premiums might well be enough to tip a fragile U.S. economy into recession. And a concern that the U.S. was becoming protectionists and isolationist could easily undermine confidence in many emerging markets and set off a financial crisis.

The geopolitical consequences of Donald Trump’s rise may be even more serious. The rest of the world is incredulous and appalled by the possibility of a Trump presidency and has started quietly rethinking its approach to the United States accordingly. The U.S. and China are struggling over influence in Asia. It is hard to imagine something better for China than the U.S moving to adopt a policy of “truculent isolationism.” The Trans-Pacific Partnership, a central element in our rebalancing toward Asia, could collapse. Japan would have to take self-defense, rather than reliance on American security guarantees, more seriously. And others in Asia would inevitably tilt from a more erratic America towards a relatively steady China.

Donald Trump’s rise goes beyond his demagogic appeal. It is a reflection of the political psychology of frustration – people see him as responding to their fears about the modern world order, an outsider fighting for those who have been left behind. If we are to move past Trumpism, it will be essential to develop convincing responses to economic slowdown.

The United States has always been governed by the authority of ideas, rather than the idea of authority. Nothing is more important than to be clear to all Americans that the tradition of vigorous political debate and compromise will continue. The sooner Donald Trump is relegated to the margins of our national life, the better off we and the world will be.

didn’t read the whole thread, but from the first paragraph is misguided. It’s not democratic processes in and of themselves that present a danger. It is the willingness of the people to allow power to concentrate with the federal government. If a guy like Trump was elected 100 years ago, it wouldn’t matter because he’d be impotent by today’s standards.

I’ve been saying it for a while, the possibility of a guy like Trump (at least the Trump he is projecting to the public, which I don’t believe is his true self) is the best argument against a bloated federal government and unchecked executive power (how many executive orders did Obama sign compared to all previous presidents? I bet the comparison is striking). All you lazy fiscal liberals out there are getting your just desserts. Every time you say “but what’s the harm in the government raising taxes a couple pennies or adding a few more regulations to accomplish XYZ”? Well you may be about to experience the harm in all its brutal glory. Thanks lazy liberals!!

^ +1 TF

Larry Summers…blah blah blah

The number of executive orders is striking. Especially when you compare it to the number issued 100 years ago.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/every-presidents-executive-actions-in-one-chart/

^this only proves the point that the cumulative effect has completely changed the composition of power.

Edit: and this is misleading as I’m sure the overwhelming majority of those in and around the ‘mode’ probably had a little bit to do with the two world wars we were engaged in. agree, executive orders by themselves don’t capture the phenomenon. number of pages added to federal law is probably a better indicator. the point is that the effect is crystal clear and undeniable - people like Bchad are the ones you can thank for the next hitler.

President Obama has purposefully chosen to primarily use Executive Actions instead of Executive Orders for political reasons. The linked article only counts Executive Orders, not Executive Actions. For example, all of President Obama’s highly publicized press conferences on gun control were announcing Executive Actions, not Executive Orders.

Classy ad hominem attack, TF.

Also, if you say that the early 20th century executive orders were all about the world wars, then you remove the ones under Wilson (WWI) and FDR (WWII). That still leaves a ton of those things under T.R., Taft, Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover. The fact is, 100 years ago, there were a ton of executive orders being put out by Presidents.

EDIT: Interesting, the chart isn’t even total EOs, it’s EOs per year in office.

i tell it like it is, like my idol TRUMP.

you were already BOOM ROASTED by higgs so find a new chart.

You’re wierd.

Higgs basically said: “It doesn’t matter that TURD WAS COMPLETELY WRONG ABOUT HIS COMMENT ON EXECUTIVE ORDERS AND DOESN’T KNOW WHAT THE F HE’S TALKING ABOUT, because I’ve invented a new category of stuff that kinda sorta sounds like it means the same thing and vaguely might be relevant.”

An executive order is controversial because it is in that grey area where it’s not entirely clear if it is an executive or a legislative event. However, both congress and the supreme court can nullify an executive order. An executive action is simply anything the President does in their function as the executive. Congress creates law and holds the power of the purse. However government policy is still the domain of the executive branch.

Executive orders are to be used to enforce the law, not change and create law. Does anyone prefer a government in which that is not the case? Obama himself previously stated what he is doing now is not within his power constitutionally, yet people come to his defense. Poltical bias no doubt causes brains to go haywire.

you suffer from some sort of cognitive bias whereby you project too much virtue onto the government. or maybe you’re just too lazy to be the change you want to see in the world so you’re happy to sacrifice other people’s freedom and let the government take care of it.

pages added annually to the federal register:

http://www.llsdc.org/assets/sourcebook/fed-reg-pages.pdf

Just taking a different approach to the argument I think you guys are having (I don’t follow politics very closely), wouldn’t we chalk up the rise of executive orders/executive actions to the fact that congress has become less willing to work together to find compromise? And wouldn’t we chalk that up to the rediculous process that has evolved over the decades that requires politicians to make a career out of fundraising?

I would hope that everyone would prefer a government where the senate and the house are far more important than the president. It seems like their inability to function has forced the president to take a greater role in the process. It’s like the idea that central banks now have to fill the void of fiscal policy, it’s ineffective and potentially dangerous.

I’m guessing that campaign finance reform is a start, but I’m sure there are a million other ideas that have been tossed around. Either way, I’m sure nothing will change, hence the reason why I don’t follow politics very closely.

Disclaimer: I am not a Trump supporter, I don’t even vote and I do find this mess of an election cycle amusing.

People are HUGELY overreacting and being dramatic about this election. We go through this same mass hysteria every election cycle. Trump is not equivalent to Hitler, etc anymore than earning minimum wage as a lifeguard in high school is equivalent to mid 1800’s slavery. Anybody that thinks that lacks historical and social awareness. For the last years I’ve listened to Fox pundits call Obama (the anti-Trump) Hitler. Now it’s libtards going after Trump. It’s all so stupid.

Contentious, low brow remarks in the campaign are nothing new. The proud tradition of American politics never existed. In 1804 Burr killed Hamilton in a dual over remarks made during the presidential race. Which was only a prelude to the 1828 election with Jeffereson (slave owner) calling Adams a hermaphrodite while Adams supporters called him a “half breed Indian squaw sired by a Virginia mulatto father”. Jackson went on to claim Adams offered his maid as a concubine ot a Russian Czar. It goes on and on.

But at the end of the day, Congress makes the laws, the Pres only carries them out and the SC governs. I really think you could reverse every election over the past 100 years and we’d live in a relatively similar world. The president mainly just serves to collect blame (often for a faulty congress) until the next guy.

Also, I agree with the point Husky is making.

So congress doesn’t pass the laws the executive branch wants because of gridlock, so he gets to inact his own laws to “solve problems.” Got it. Why even have a congress? Let’s just elect a king. I bet when Trump is president, some on this board will change their tune on executive overreach. That’s bias. I’ll be ragging Trump as well if he oversteps his power as well. Funny thing, there is actually law calling for the wall, just doesn’t require it because of amendments. Totally within the discretion of the executive branch. I imagine that many that voted for the wall back in 2006 now claim they are against now for political reasons. I wonder if MLA knew how many crazy people are in the US congress. Would be nice to be as sane and informed as him though. Most of us can only look north and hope though.

Agreed Huskie makes solid points. If we would stop hating each other and elect politicians in congress who would do something that doesnt take several years to come together, the country would work much better.

You’ve misinterpreted my comment. I would like to see changes made to promote cooperation within congress so that the President has a less promenant role…reguardless of who is president.

Again, executive orders are limited to within reason by the SC, but allowing govt to function. You can disagree with the use of the orders, which is fine, I really don’t care.

But the hysteria about Trump is still wildly overblown fear mongering and drama. Ok, so lets just pretend Trump surprises everyone and manages to build a Great Wall of Texas. Who gives two sh*ts? I mean really, you can disagree with it but does it really, truly impact anyone here except maybe Greenman? Does the US cease to exist? Does it really matter at all? No, not really. Ok then, lets take a deep breath, relax, act like adults (don’t make me be the voice of reason).