If Dilma Rousseff had any pride left, she would retire

I don’t understand the mentality of politicians who cling to power like this. Even If she were to resign voluntarily, she can still be a very influential person in Brazil and world politics. Instead, she is likely to be impeached, leaving a legacy of disgrace for her and for labor oriented politics.

Power is the worst addiction.

Best use of “if ---- had any pride left…” to be posted on AF.

It’s not at all clear from the evidence that she has actually committed a crime, although one can argue that she has been irresponsible and the attempt to elevate Lula to Chief of Staff in an apparent attempt to shield him from prosecution is bizarre and smacks of nepotism. Perhaps she feels that history will redeem her even if it is likely that the senate has enough votes to chuck her out and therefore she wants to go down fighting what to her is “the good fight.” She was a guerrila during the dictatorship, so this general attitude of being willing to go down fighting is presumably not new to her.

I don’t love Dilma, but the whole situation does feel like a pack of hyenas turning on their current leader, only to replace her with one who is equally (or more) corrupt.

I find myself understanding why people are happy to have achieved this, but I do quietly wonder if this is really going to make things any better in either the near term or the long term. I feel like the nullification of a popularly elected official should require clearer proof of wrongdoing and not simply “I don’t like your policies and we have enough votes.”

In a parliamentary system, this would be a vote of no confidence and a new government would form. In a presidential system, it is more of a challenge to the stability of the whole regime.

I find it odd for me to be on the pro-Dilma side, because I don’t really like her very much, but I do think the impeachment process should require a higher standard of proof of wrongdoing, or it will be used incessantly.

She’s probably hanging on because she thinks she’ll ultimately be vindicated. Quitting now would be like an admission of guilt.

I learned once in a job I had early out of college that taking the high road in these situations will only be treated as an admission of guilt and be used against you. The problem will only worsen rather than disspiate. Watching it play out helped me underestand politics much better. If you never admit to a wrong the debate is over whether you were wrong. Once you admit to being wrong, the debate simply shifts to whether punative measures were enough (they never are) and it gets brought up repeatedly.

This is why politics never move forward with people acting like adults, admitting even basic mistakes and learning from them. It’s all deflection.

It also doesn’t help that she’s likely surrounded by an echo chamber of likeminded individuals that are all living out the same delusion while playing out her gamble in a gambit for their own careers. If they can keep her in power, her cabinet remains on top. If she steps down they will all be cleaned out by the successor. If she stays in but loses an impeachment, they may be able to deflect much of the spotlight to her in the process and remain in place during the messy aftermath. She may also be hoping to broker a deal out of this.

Stepping down may have been more of an option early on in this, but now it probably seems a bit remote.

^Oddly enough, I think the opposite occurs in business.

In the corporate world, when the going gets tough…then it’s time to resign and let the next CEO deal with your mess.

If people are going to put dummies/crooks into office, well there’s nothing I can do…except profit off the stupidity. EWZ at a 79% gain since I picked it up back in Jan, biggest win I’ve had in years. I guess I have Dilma’s criminal incompetence to thank?

Thing is, probably there will be some new incompetent, and I’ll lose all my gains.

Ok, I kinda want to high-five you on that one. I love Brazilian equities. I have been out of the macro loop lately as I focus on intraday trading… but way back last winter… long PBR was my first ever trade. Was out in the spring when the parade of poor economic data started rolling in :slight_smile:

was this as big a homerun for you as your Bexit play? If I recall you made as much as you would have made in 10 minutes at your day job (God bless America).

I was naive and a little wreckless back then. My profits were much greater on that trade. Of course “trader’s tuition” eventually caught up with me and now I am embarassingly cautious when it comes to exposure… and I can afford to be untill skill catches up. I haven’t quit my “night job” :wink: