bought a new BBQ

Calling all American ppl and those from Texas, I need your kind assistance with my new BBQ.

I bought a LandMann Tennesse Offset Smoker the other day and used it last weekend to smoke my first chicken.

I filled the coal compartment with hot coals, bourbon barrel wood chips and let the heat pick up to 250F before putting my brined whole chicken in. I smoke the bugger for 5hrs. It came out moist and very smokey flavour…although IMO wasn’t cooked all the way through so I had to stick it under the grill for a little while.

What do you smoke?

Do you brine?

How do ya’ll keep the heat so high?

Yeeha!

ps i dont like all this shiz where I ask a question and then 3 posts down it goes off topic and we start talking about the deceased. Keep it on topic.

yeeha6

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160517-chimps-grieve-for-dead-friend

I smoke cocks, just like you did. I also smoke pork ribs, brisket, pork butts, and an occasional turkey.

I never brine.

I don’t keep the heat high. I keep it low and slow.

If you had bought a Big Green Egg, you wouldn’t have to worry about how to keep the temperature where you want it. (Just sayin’.)

That chimpanzee story is truly heartbreaking. They can be very sensitive creatures, when not ripping the genitals off of rival males.

Agreed ohai. DId you know that, in general, chimps are 6 to 7 times stronger than humans?

huh?

You saying something about Texans not being American? …look out

The development and use of the hacksaw is all that separates us from them.

One thing l learnt is that texas is texas.

True and how about that Planet of the Apes documentary? Fascinating stuff.

The BGE is like £2k and i’m cash poor, so I settled for a £200 smoker instead. Plus I only get to use it a handful of times in the year as it gets all wet and dreary in London for many many months of the year.

Do you do them whole or cut the birds into pieces?

Do you use a dry rub too?..

How long u smoke brisket for… is it tasty?

I saw the first remake, that was enough for me. Some things are best left unknown.

There’s beauty in ambiguity, it leaves things to the imagination. Pressing questions like who is CFAvMBA really, and is KMD really as hot as we think she is - all lost in time, like tears in rain.

1. You get what you pay for.

2. You can use the BGE in wet and dreary weather.

3. Smoke them whole. Cut them into pieces for direct grilling.

4. Always use dry rub when smoking a cock.

5. ~1.5 hours per pound. EG - I started a 6-pounder at 6:30 this morning. It should be ready when I get home at 5:00. (2.2 kg equals one pound. So ~3 - 3.5 hrs. per kilo.)

6. Brisket is the same cut of meat as corned beef or pastrami. The difference is in the way it is cured or brined. If you like corned beef or pastrami, you will probably like brisket.

Terrible excuse for not BBQing. I’ve smoked at -20C, I’ve smoked in a blizzard. I’ve smoked with path shoveled out of two feet of snow.

Do you use the Texas crutch with those times? I normally go a bit longer on brisket, but I try to keep my temps right at 200.

RIP greenie. Hope you get out of Texas alive.

Someone other than me has to know the answer to one of these burning questions. STL, did you complete your factfinding mission yet?

Who’s having s3x with the rooster!?!