Tragically Hip - Any Similar Bands Elsewhere In The World?

Old news by now that lead singer, and maybe one of the best lead singers to see live in the history of music, of the Tragically Hip is going to die soon and they’re throwing a final “dying away tour” this summer. The Hip have had 9 albums and dozens of songs hit #1 in Canada but virtually no where else. Ask any Canadian and the Hip are up there with any of the musical greats like the Stones or U2 in terms of impact on Canadian lives and Canadian music.

my question is, is there any other country in the world where a band is so loved and is so successful yet has minimal love and success elsewhere?

looking forward to watching my final Hip show in london come august. assuming i can get tickets.

pugacheva and kirkurov were huge

I’ll be going to see the Hip in August for sure. I don’t think the U.S. would have such bands as their culture is so dominant. Anyone big in the U.S. would be big globally (at least in the English speaking world). I imagine every country has local stars, especially ones in their local languages. Any big Dutch band, for example, likely doesn’t have any success outside Benelux but I’m sure there are some culturally significant local artists there?

wife was able to get four row 13 floor tickets in the presale for a toronto show. tried to see if i could get london and kingston tickets today just for kicks. nothing. my condolences to all of those who weren’t able to secure tickets today.

When my wife (who is Canadian) and I first started going out she had some Hip playing at her apartment one day. I asked who the band was and she thought I was yanking her chain. She said “Tragically Hip, do live under a rock?” I said I had never heard of them and she looked at me like I had two heads.