First Impressions (watches)

There’s a similar topic in Investments, but I didn’t think I should hijack it. I’m leaving an industry where being strong is more important than one’s appearance, and joining (first day is June 3) an industry where favorable first impressions are a must. I recently overheard a banking recruiter’s conversation about watches. He said “Yeah, it doesn’t affect whether or not they get the job, but I definitely notice it,” referring to people who wear sport watches with their dress clothes. I’ve pretty much lived in my Casio G-Shock for the past four years, but it doesn’t fit under dress shirt sleeves well, and this overheard conversation has me a bit paranoid about what clients may think if they were to notice a large chunk of plastic on my wrist. What say you? Have you ever met someone in a corporate setting whose watch affected your opinion of them? I haven’t noticed this yet, but supposedly “rich” people like to collect watches - is an uncommon watch a conversation starter/ ice breaker for some of the financial “elite?”

Depends on the field a bit. Lloyd Blankfein reportedly wears a swatch.

I’ve heard of one salesperson who will dress in expensive clothes and accessories when marketing to high net worth individuals, who want to feel that she is one of them, but will dress significantly down when marketing to pension funds and endowments, because they will look at expensive stuff and think “my fees paid for that!”

As for watches, they are one of the few pieces of jewelry that men tend to wear without raising eyebrows (others are cuff links), so if you want to show that you have baller money, watches will often do the trick along with an expensive suit and shoes. After all, you can’t wear your car around your neck and it is more socially acceptable than whipping out your babymaker and challenging the competition to compare sizes with a tape measure.

Personally, I notice taste more than cost. An expensive, gaudy watch doesn’t impress me much. A hunk of plastic doesn’t usually impress me all that much either, but at least I don’t think the guy is a chump for dropping a pile of cash on it and making sure I see it.

IMO, it’s very hard to judge someone by their watch, unless they are wearing one with a very expensive complication (tourbillion, minute repeater, ect.) Some very wealthy people don’t care at all. Some not so wealthy people financed their watch.

For what it’s worth, I’m no where near “baller” level. Even the Rolexes being sold for parts will have to wait until my kids are out of the house, haha.

If you want to blend in don’t wear anything for a while and then pick something you can afford that passes if you feel you need to. I think it’s important to wear something that is ‘level’ appropriate or lower, never higher. also bchad made a good point about knowing your audience when dealing with outside entities. I always forego the watch and dress down when I’m meeting with city employees.

I wear a 30 year old casio watch that my dad gave me as a kid. No one questions it when they’re asking for 8 figure investments in their deals from me.

^his question is about the person asking for the money

I guess OP is looking for an excuse to buy an expensive watch.

Not really. I’m looking in the $200-$300 range, and hoping I can get a gently used one for less. My real issue is trying to blend with whomever I’m interacting with at the given time - if a watch in that range won’t help, I’ll just save my money and wait until I have more significant income.

I would echo the sentiment that taste is more important than cost. Fortunately, there are good pieces available at almost every price point. If your price range is less than $500, I recommend Orient “Bambino” or similar, if you want a mechanical watch. I have an Orient watch that cost about $200. It lacks certain high end features like sapphire crystal, but overall, the design and quality is better than anything I’ve seen in that price range. A mid to high range Seiko or Citizen is also nice. If you have $500 or more, the best blend of price, aesthetics, and quality is probably from the likes of Frederique Constant. Although I am currently wearing something of a $6k to $10k watch right now, I would not hesitate to put on a FC Slimline or one of their other entry level models.

If you are talking to clients in business attire, it is time to graduate from the G Shock. It’s probably inappropriate for any kind of finance sales job. If you have no other option, don’t wear a watch.

People do talk about watches in business, but usually in a casual setting. For instance, I was out with a business relation at a bar, and complimented his Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. It is certainly a measuring stick of sorts. It’s obviously possible to succeed without wearing finery like this. However, it’s still part of your appearance, like having a good haircut, or a shirt that is nicely ironed.

Which model? I love that era of Casio.

Agree with BChad. Taste is most important. Though Ohai is right, don’t wear the Casio to the big meetings. No watch is better than a G-Shock, unless you’re ex-special forces. Watches are indicators, they are a way of connecting to others (if they are watch guys), or a measuring stick (unfortunately), or an assessment of your judgment (gaudy vs value vs conservatism)

At the end of the day if you’re already a rockstar no one is going to care what you’re wearing. Your reputation is already established. If you’re hoping to establish a stud reputation then wear something in good taste and fitting for the audience. IMO, it’s better to wear nothing than wear something super-economy, because that will give pricing indicators to UNWs. Bad choices do more damage than wearing nothing at all, IMO. And don’t tell people you don’t need a watch because you have a cell phone, especially if they are wearing nicer watches.

Establishing your reputation with a watch? Bleh. Who cares. Anyone important doesn’t. The only thing that I’d care about is if some junior analyst is wearing something worth 50% of their net. If they are, then they’re clearly an idiot or a trust fund kid, and I wouldn’t knowingly hire either.

I have an ESQ watch (men’s Filmore tank watch style) that is in the $150-$350 range, depending on where you buy it, and I like it a lot. My ex said she really liked it when I had dinner with her and she is a big league portfolio manager/CIO. I also got a Skagen titanium watch from my current girl for my birthday a few years back and it gets lots of compliments too. Current GF does not roll in money like my ex does (though my ex was never all that extravagant), so I think the Skagen probably cost $175 or so at Macy’s. For more formal occasions I have a Movado that my former father in law gave me. It’s gorgeous but I feel a bit silly wearing it as an everyday watch.

These days I’m wearing a Pebble Time Round (black) which I like for the smart watch features, but isn’t quite as elegant as the other watches I have. However, I think it looks nicer than an Apple Watch and does have useful functionality in terms of seeing whether a message or call is important enough to pull out the phone. It’s not as full featured as the Apple Watch but it doesn’t look like a mini refrigerator strapped to your wrist – it looks like a real watch.

I ended up getting the pebble because I saw a groupon discount and I liked the idea of getting messages on my wrist. I really liked the Samsung Gear s2 as a smart watch, so you might check it out. One nice thing about smart watches is that they are interesting conversation pieces on their own.

top 2 watch or hacksaw

DBC-611G-1DF

No joke, I really wanted one of these as a kid. Now I can finally afford one - 100$ happily spent.

We get it geo, you live in Calgary, have an awesome life without following the traditional grind, and all that big city stuff is for losers. Thanks for checking in. :wink:

Even in a big city, people reach an age where they realise that reputation isn’t based on what watch you wear but the results you deliver. There is nothing wrong with wearing a nice watch if that’s what you want to do. And there is value in being dressed for the job. But the idea that you’ll be limited in career because you only have a Casio and the other guy on your team wears a IWC is crazy. This is the mentality that drives all these people driving borderline luxury cars they can’t afford or don’t even enjoy. Like I said though, if you like nice watches, wear one. But don’t expect career changing benefits from your watch.

+1 Geo. Nicely said.