Does Uber let you do this ?

Today I got an Uber ride and started talking with the pakistani/indian driver. He was a friendly guy and very humble and due to the long ride started telling me all this family issues he was having and whatnot. Anyhow the guy told me that he and his brother got the car ( Camry ) together and they work in 12 hour shifts, also he said they sell the car as soon as the guarantee is over. I am curious does uber let people operate a car like this ? I am not sure he was telling the truth as he was using this work story of his to prove a point which We disagreed on but just made me curious.

I don’t see why Uber would care. They want people driving for them so they get their 20% cut. I doubt they care how you make that happen.

^The guy was joking how is car is running 24/7.I was assuming this kind of thing leads to all sorts of crimes or misuse.

^ It’s a car. Inanimate objects typically don’t have criminal tendencies.

^Is that one of those nights that you got rejected and resorted to drinking again ? I can feel your misery from here man.Must feel awfull

I wonder what percentage of uber drivers tweak or disconnect their odometers

Is that even possible with newer cars?

Yes but you usually need very specialized equipment/dealership connect. The only legitimate use I can think of is if a cluster goes bad and the new one has to be programmed. On some cars, I’ve heard people have bypassed that by buying a junkyard cluster and swapping in and out to put the miles on that. On very high end cars (maybe even common cars now) I heard that the mileage data is stored in various places and even the keys. Goes without saying, tampering with the odo is illegal (felony, I think?), please don’t try.

On the original point, I agree with KrazyKanuk.

Regarding HPRacing’s point, I don’t think the odometer impacts an uber drivers’ pay. Isn’t it all based off the app’s fare and GPS data?

Say something goes south with the driver and passenger, I think having multiple drivers is difficult in tracking who is who. I like to think that if anything goes bad in uber, People can be tracked down. If peoole keep changing on a single car it becomes much harder to dissect the parties involved.

They would track it based on who was logged in via the app. Same way cab drivers share cars.

^ Excellent point Sam. As I’ve never used Uber, it failed to click with me that one of the supposed advantages of Uber is that the identities of the driver and passenger are known.

they should put multiple internal dashcams in all cars like in those taxi videos ohai told me he saw online

From the driver point of view ? The way this guy was saying they share a car freaked me out.

Can’t see them staying within the lease mileage constraints running it 24hrs. Uber doesn’t care but the dealer probably does.

uber now leases cars with unlimited milage i believe

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the driver logs in from their side of the app