Gas Grills

I’m looking at propane grills, ideally <500 and stainless steel. Thoughts?

For a propane grill, i have the Weber Gensis, and I love it. Though, it’s slightly out of your $500 target ( i think they’re around $650). Retains heat very well and the flames don’t flare up while cooking.

i think KitchenAid makes a stainless grill that’s under that price target, and I’ve heard some good reports about them, though, i can’t speak from experience.

For some reason I thought this thread would be started by pokhim about the £25K he spent on his golden grill and how his wife is still not happy, guess I thought wrong.

^+1 on the Weber Genesis. Best gas grill money can buy. Stainless steel version is the S-330, and it will set you back ~$1,000.

They have a smaller, 2-burner version called the Spirit E-210. It costs ~$400. Won’t be stainless steel, though. The grates on that grill will probably really suck. You’ll have to buy some aftermarket ones.

$800 Gman

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Genesis-E-330-3-Burner-38-000-BTU-Liquid-Propane-Gas-Grill-with-1-Side-Burners/3318438?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalLiving-_-Grills-_-3318438:Weber&CAWELAID=&kpid=3318438&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1957&k_clickID=105af721-d527-4555-b5d9-a9dd3f97f5dc

My advice is to stick to Weber or Broil King at that price range, as you should be able to get their lower end ones at $500ish, especially the Broil King since Weber is a little more pricy in general.

Even if you have to pay a little more for Weber or Broil King, pay a little extra and avoid the crappy brands… you only need to look at the size of the burners.

Broil King / Weber will last you 10+ years. These other brands will flame out in 3 or so.

Disclosure: I own a Broil King

Weber bros

That’s the E-330, which has cast iron grates.

The S-330 has stainless steel, and this past weekend, it was selling for $949 at Lowe’s.

I would like to come in here and yell at you all for using gas, but I have to admit gas grills are convenient to use. I have both and find myself using the gas grill more than charcoal.

I feel like I need to walk nude down Main St. while people throw propane and propane accessories at me.

Cast iron grates will be better for any real grilling, you can get them much hotter and a steak won’t stick at all to a properly seasoned grill. But they are more work (oiling them every 5-10 cooks). So that’s really a call between flavour and effort. I second Broil King. I find their build quality a bit better than Weber, but both are good options. I use Broil King for gas and charcoal (BBQ)… Though I rarely use my gas anymore.

Shame

God damn it.

stainless steel > cast iron?

Charcoal is a PITA. I have an older version of this, http://www.samsclub.com/sams/hybrid-grill-2016/prod19020312.ip, which is a hybrid so it has both gas and charcoal sides and I’ve never even used the charcoal side.

It’s for actual BBQ. I didn’t misspeak. My charcoal is a Big Steel Keg. I grill on it and BBQ.

So it’s a smoker?

I personally like stainless steel grates better than cast iron, because of the maintenance. The food tastes the same–you just don’t get those sear marks like to you do on cast iron.

However, the maintenance is much, much easier. Just get a brush that won’t scratch your grates and scrape all the gunk off. Piece of cake.

do you still have the green egg?

I have a Big Green Egg and a Genesis S-330.

It’s, IMO, a better Big Green Egg. Yes.