Gym Bros - How much do you bench?

What’s your bench? Who’s the strongest AFer in the gym? You can include both your 1-rep max and typical working range.

I’m lucky to get 305 on bench. Will put up over 600 on dead tho.

With that said, my af stats are 405 on bench and 800 dead.

These numbers are likely higher now since it’s been several months since my last competition, but last recorded maxes were:

525 Squat

375 (Paused) Bench

550 DL

(in 181 lb weight class)

It’s not about strength, but rather, stamina.

How many times can you bench (with proper form) 225?

^i’d say a combo of both is probably more appropriate than one or the other. Nevertheless, and this has been said too many times, bench is fo sho and not really a good indicator - i say this partially bc its true and partially bc my long arms makes benching tough.

I DL 600.

Squat 500 is (I don’t like to do one rep max squats,I am rather scared by a very heavy thing on my back)

Bench ,I don’t know

Does zero count?

Bench press was how I discovered I had a full tear in my labrum. Suffice to say I will likely never do it again. Really not a great workout for your shoulders.

Had the very rare occasion of having the house to myself last night. Fapped for 8 hours with a 30 minute food and beverage break in the middle.

Beat that (literally).

Incorrect. For me, as a competitive powerlifter, it’s not about stamina, but rather entirely about strength. It depends on your specific goal.

True.I totally beat my brother at power endurance type of things(Burpee,Sprint Intervals or similar stuff ).But I can’t jog for more than a mile but he totally beats me in pure stamina things.

The bench press is a big gym thing due to the whole Pectoral fetish very common in the bodybuilding community and its ability to promote growth in the chest muscles. As a somewhat competitive athlete, I discount the whole exercise because of the chance of injury associated with it and the fact that there are much more whole body movements than the bench press. DL is a true measure of strength.

Bench press is much easier for short-armed people. Not sure how it’s a true measurement of strength. I’m 6’4 and can’t get over 235 5x5 for the life of me.

if you’re going for general athleticism, then all aspects should be given attention - strength, power, stamina, endurance, work capacity, flexibility. the goal of a general athlete is developing work capacity across all modes. lots of people end up specializing to one degree or another because they tend to gravitate towards what they like or are good at.

i try to hit everything, but it’s difficult unless you have 2+ hours per day to dedicate.

Yo Sam – if you like power endurance/stamina try doing 1,000 burpees with a 1/2 mile run after each set of 100. If you complete that in under say 5 hours, you have my respect. my best was 800 before i crapped out. I tend to focus on this dimension of athleticism because it’s as much a mental test as anything else.

agree, i rarely do bench. push ups though i do in my sleep. i’ll never have the look of smuggling two basketballs under my shirt but I’m ok w that.

^ Yup. Dips and pushups all the way. Dude I can’t do more than 28-30 consecutive burpees with pushups (explosive style) how can you do 800 ?

Agreed. The barbell bench press can be a great exercise, but for most people, there are other chest exercises that are just as good for developing size and strength with a lower risk/reward ratio. In general, I typically recommend avoiding the BB bench (especially for athletes, where injury prevention is goal #1), unless your anatomy is built for it or if you’re a powerlifter, in which case it’s a part of your sport.

That’s pretty amazing for your weight class. I’m guessing that you are stout. I weigh that much and can’t do half of what you claim.

I’m actually 5’9" but with little bodyfat. I’ve been told I look more like a bodybuilder than a powerlifter. As far as my lifts go, thank you, but they’re only “okay” on a competitive level. I’m nowhere near breaking any records. For example, the IPF Worlds (a drug-free competition) took place last month, and the winner of the 181 class (an American) squatted 655, benched 440, and pulled 693. Oh and he is like 23.

In your case, where the reason you lift weights is simply to lift weights, then you’re right.

I’m assuming the other 99.99% of the world has a different goal in mind, such as “general fitness” or “to look like a bronze Adonis” or something.

And I ask “how many times can you bench 225” because it’s in the NFL combine. Larry Allen did it 70 times.