A fitness challenge

So i’ve been spending the last 12 months renovating my house etc and have gotten out of shape. Soon, my house and garden will be completely finished and i’ll need something else to occupy my time…

I am thinking about undertaking a fitness challenge… I’ve done a few triathlons before, I have been thinking about a marathon (although I dnt like running too much), I could do an ironman, or attempt to swim across lake Windermere, what about climbing Kilimanjaro, or doing a big cycle ride… or something completely ‘way out there’… i dunno…

What do you guys think? Have you done any of the above and can suggest anything pretty cool that I could train for over the next c.12months and do in summer 2017.

Bike the Alpine stages of next year’s Tour de France.

I am trying to think of a question/statement to hijack this thread, any ideas?

100 Burpees

Hi bros I’ve never worked out a single day of my life and have been sedentary for the last 12 months. Can I reverse years of inactivity and processed garbage that I’ve consumed over the course of my life in 1 month bros?

It kinds of depends on your time commitment also. If you want to do Iron Man, supposedly, you need to train 6-7 hours on weekends, plus a lot during the week - basically 2x marathon or half Iron Man. I guess it would be good if you just need to get out of the house. Marathon is sort of fun when you do it. I would choose this of the things you mentioned, also since it’s by far the cheapest.

Some guy I know swam across the English Channel. Apparently, that is a thing that people do. That seemed kind of intense.

You could also try to qualify for Olympic curling. I mean, how hard can that really be?

Incidentally, I visited “Iron Man World Headquarters” recently in Hawaii. There is a store that sells magnets and stuff.

On my to do list. Also want to ride some of the classics/monuments: the Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, Fleche Wallonne, Milan-San Remo, etc.

I can’t swim the channel…that is too far!!.. Iron man probably is too much for me too. I could do a half iron though… I’ve looked into the San Fran where you get to swim from Alcatraz island…

Alternatively I could row across the channel…although might cost quite a bit to buy the boat etc…

some of the ironman events fill up quick but just do a half-iron

nope eventually yes. 1 month… no

it’s strange to me that when most people think about a ‘fitness challenge’ they immediately gravitate towards pure endurance events.

why not think outside the box and do something weird? How about grabbing 40 lb dumbells and lunging a mile or two?

I’ve been working off and on towards a sub 5 minute mile. Every time I get close something pops up and wrecks my progress, but you could go for that.

Fair point, I like endurance (more enjoyable to me) but I see what you’re saying.

I think people often mention endurance events because the the results are transferable. They inherently come with a measuring stick so you can see how much you suck or kick @ss compared to your peers. Some random challenge will not provide that.

Endurance events are already popular, so it is easy to sign up for a marathon or something. It also seems much healthier to run for a few miles than to do a lot of heavy lunges and wear out your joints.

it’s pretty easy to sign up to do a lunging mile. find a HS track and get to it…free. There’s a million things one could do. how bout work up to a 10 min plank (pushup position, arms extended, not on elbows). that would be no small accomplishment and it only takes…10 minutes. disagree on health factor. i think marathons are pretty bad for people’s general health, although i’m no expert. i know when i trained for a half, i had more aches and pains in my joints than any other training period.

fastest mile you could do is a great idea, i think i’ll start working on that.

yeah that would be pretty sweet I’d rather hit sub 5 than respectable times for other long distance endurance events

yeah - he could do crossfit events … if anyone likes crossfit events