Gym Bros - HRV?

Any gym bros here track their heart rate variability? Just learning about the science behind it but sounds like a good ‘hack’ for figuring out which days your body is primed to really push it and which you should go easy.

I used to pay attention to my RHR as a proxy to peak fitness or over training back when I was on an elite program. Some things to consider: of course you want to be careful of when you take the measurement. Make sure there is no caffeine present. Wait a significant amount of time after a workout. Make sure you are in general very calm. They often recommend that you take the measurement first thing before getting out of bed. I don’t agree. I find my heart rate races some when I first wake up as my body prepares to go from unconscious to getting crap done. I used to take measurements when I would get bored in class… those tended to be the lowest …lol! My claim to fame is during the peak of my training I slept in simulated altitude which really pushed my cardiovascular system to the limit. I went in for a routine medical procedure and my HR was 42. They thought their equipment was broken…kept trying to readjust it and finally gave me some drug to make my HR go up because they were so nervous about it. Ha! I was loving that :wink:

I test drove a Honda HRV. It’s a nice car and definitely premium for the price. A bit wobbly though.

I just push myself until I throw up or pass out. That way I know it was good.

^ That’s what I do with alcohol.

Most of these fitness/health gadgets are pretty useless at the retail level and will only make your wallet lighter. Normal people simply don’t have the resources available to professional level athletes, however there are companies making the general population believe that this is what they are using.

Battle ropes or hacksaw.

yea i’ve read some really pretty scathing assessments of some of the stuff being peddled to the masses. hopefully the technology progresses to a point where a reliable monitor can hit the mass market.

^Most wearable technology aimed at the masses is highly inaccurate and does not address the variables KMD mentioned .

[video:https://www.facebook.com/uniladmag/videos/2357156924307353/]

Thanks ACE. As always you bring a unique perspective.