Vacation Request Etiquette

Some people at my place at entitled to, let’s say, 4 weeks of vacation in a year but they never take even a week off. They are too busy and it is sometimes looked down upon by managers so they might just take every Friday off to make it a 4 day week.

What is the vacation etiquette at your place of work?

I’m in a client-focused role, so whenever clients don’t do anything, we are free. So mid-August, week of Thxgiving, week after Xmas…

^same. plus we have a large european presence who appreciates their “holidays”

I’m part of a small team, but as long as too many of us aren’t gone at once doesn’t matter when I take off. I usually take a week at a time, maybe an occasional 3 day weekend, and pretty much always take the week of Thanksgiving. It’s a fantastic use of vacation time, 3 days of PTO for 9 straight days off.

I try to line up my vacation days with a holiday and weekend then maybe use a few days during the week days so I can have almost a two weeks vacation. As long as not everyone’s gone it’s fine and no one cares, we have a small team.

Sounds like some of your managers are arseholes.

When I want to take vacation I send an email to my team and say I’m going on vacation. Could be for a day or two weeks. Never received any blowback.

I’m having to adjust on this one. Last role (in UK) I had 40+ days a year, could take them any time, basically just said to my manager that i’m going on holiday on x dates and as long as it wasn’t over 3 weeks I didn’t need any sign off. I took 3 weeks off on many occasions and people looked at you as a weirdo if you didn’t use your full allocation. There were still some of the old school guys that used to have a load still to take near the end of the holiday year and would end up taking a week off just to use them up, it felt like that was mainly driven by a disdain for their wife and kids though.

In my current shop it’s different but not half as bad as I was led to expect by the impressions back home. I still think it’ insane that people don’t take their allocated days though.

Out of interest, what kind of client focused roles are you guys in?

^Is going to the pub during lunch on working days still a thing?

There is the unspoken no limit on vacation where I work but everyone only takes about 4 weeks a year or less.

I assume it is in some places although the 2 companies I’ve worked for in the UK it was frowned upon aside from December which was fair game and you were usually just topping up your buzz from the night before.

Some of the people I work with rarely take vacation time. They’ll take a 2 week block and then a couple of long weekends. I like to spread mine throughout the year

I’m glad that I work with people who enjoy lunch beers as much as I do.

I work at home. Vacation is whenever I want it to be.

“_ Don’t take vacations _. What’s the point? If you’re not enjoying your work, you’re in the wrong job.” — Think Like A Billionaire. — _ Donald _ J. Trump

I would probably agree if my work was owning luxury resorts all over the world.