Porsche improves 911 Le Mans car, by making it mid engine

Maybe now, they can finally admit that rear engine is a design flaw.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/los-angeles-auto-show/a31586/this-is-porsches-mid-engined-911-rsr/

Nice!

But I liked putting my groceries under the hood.

You will still be able to - it’s mid engine, not front engine. I guess they might lose those vestigial rear seats, which are admittedly, useful for luggage if not humans.

Why not make it front engine then?

…I will leave now.

I wonder if they will ever do it on the street car… from air cooled to watercooled, to doing away with natural aspiration for most… i think the purist would complain a lot and still buy them if they did that.

Nah, there is no point in changing the commercial version. The base version, let alone performance versions, is already too fast for any normal human. Let them keep the “one of a kind” sort of mentality on the car. Otherwise, they have to explain why it’s different from the cheaper, mid engine Porsche models.

Rear seats are very important for insurance purposes, at least they used to be.

^ Ive heard that but wonder why that is… seems like fewer seats, fewer passengers, fewer distractions.

In general, two seater cars are sports cars and 4 seater cars are not, so I guess the NHTSA or whoever made a broad rule about this, where 911 is an exception. Anyway, I doubt insurance is the reason here - maybe it was 50 years ago, but not now. Cheaper Porsches have two seats after all. It is more about defining the 911 as how it is. If you change things, people will be all “that’s not a 911”.