$4.5B divorce

That is one sad family

I bet the ex-wife’s parents are thrilled. our daughter hit the jackpot!

I imagine you’re right that it does, but why should it? Is $4bn a reasonable penalty for sleeping around during marriage? Did he do $4bn worth of harm to his wife by sleeping around?

People are arguing she shouldn’t get that money because in their eyes she doesn’t need that much. Reality check: no one needs that much. Who cares how the billions are split they’ll still both be hyper rich. I think it’s only right she has half if he cheats and is moving on to be with younger women. Pay the cost to be the boss.

Marriage is viewed by the courts as contract and the person who cheats has violated the terms of the contract. When someone violates the terms a a contract, there are usually penalties.

^Fair point, but I would distinguish between a complete and an incomplete contract. A complete contract is one that specifies all the potential things that could go wrong and has the consequences of each. Obviously this is a theoretical construct that doesn’t exist in reality. In reality, all contracts are incomplete. Most people don’t have marriage contracts that say if I sleep with your sister, you get 75% of my assets, my best friend 60%, or 50% for some random floozy. Or contingencies for every possible thing that could go wrong in the marriage. When there are incomplete contracts, the judges have a responsibility to determine what is fair/just when the contract isn’t clear.

^ Agreed. In this case, the judge felt it fair to give her roughly 1/2 of the marital assets based on 21 years of marriage, his alledged infidelities and whatever else was presented. Even if he had been a saint, I suspect the 21 years of marriage was going to get her close to 1/2 anyway.

^ which is why… If you’re a billionaire and like women. Never get married. and make sure you use protection.

^ He wasn’t a billionaire when they got married. They were both medical students when they met and got married. His parents were both doctors, but I doubt that translated into weath in the former Soviet Union the way it typically does in the US. All that wealth was built while they were married.

Surrending a few billion dollars is not always a crazy thing to do. It depends on the context.

If I married Roseanne Barr when I was penniless and then later on I built a $9 billion empire, I would gladly pay $4.5 billion to get rid of her. Heck, I’ll even add another billion or two.

^ Respect.

And Itera appears once again playing the same tune of ‘betting half your assets you’ll remain married forever.’ It’s getting overplayed man. But to each their own. I mean, in your case, it would really suck to get divorced and fork over half of the $120k you have in assets.