Advise needed regarding career switch - IT manager to Finance

What’s wrong with 200k and a bonus even if you are in NYC?

Yea lol you would be able to be very comfortable in NYC on that. You wont be rich but you will be extremely comfortable

i see why this guy is worried

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-11-17/latest-craze-for-chinese-parents-preschool-coding-classes

if you are a coder and worked on some projects involving financial products i think you can pull off a finance manager (maybe 1 notch lower initially) position at amazon, msft, cisco, google, etc…

They pay you between 160k-200k plus bonus but you will be involved with lots of finance work such as M&A, valuation of companies, places to invest/park your company’s cash, spin off scenarios etc etc. Very fun and challenging work. But unlike at hedge funds or banks you go home at 5PM via company shuttle with your free take out dinner in your other hand. Unlike at NYC, you can go golfing, hiking, biking, swimming in the summer and go skiing/boarding, hiking, golfing, swimming, biking in the winter.

A 35 year old making 200k in NYC who I assume has a wife and kids is not living extremely comfortable.

Ok. I am reading my past comments, and they sound pretty asshole. What I am trying to say is that the grass is always greener on the other side, and “investment management” is probably not as great as people think it is. If you are good at something else and are reasonably successful, then perhaps you should think twice about taking a risk in a new field that you might not be as good in.

+1 to ohai in this thread.

Hahaha… That’s funny stuff. Your frame of reference is off quite a bit. For the majority of NYC families making $50k or less per year, I’m sure they’d be comfortable.

you can always move across the Hudson River. You’ll have a car waterfront NYC view condo with concierge, clean new building…etc etc.

If you can’t live off $200k you’re doing something wrong.

I think the key issue there was (non-working) wife and kids, and the assumption that you are in Manhattan. That can add up, and while I think it should be possible to swing, it’s probably not as comfortable as it would be anywhere else in the country.

That’s called being uncomfortable by choice. Many people who work on Wallstreet commute from Long island or WestChester where houses are much cheaper, education up to college is also top-notch and free. With 200k and bonus you will be extremely comfortable.

exactly…i suggested waterfront properties of NJ on Hudson River.

$11k/mn after tax. That’s comfortable anywhere. Though I don’t know how much you guys pay for medical, so maybe I’m wrong.