Aerobic vs Anaerobic

Apparently, if you want to look like the guys in 300, what they did is alternating sprinting and resistance exercises like chin up/push up. Something about getting blood to flow to different body parts.

I have trained competitively for events ranging from mid distance track like the 800 and mile … to ultra long distance like ironman triathlon. ALL spectrums of running distances need three aspects of training to make optimum performance.

1. general fitness (building a base)

2. speed (your sprints, anaerobic stuff, lactate threshold)

3. endurance ( long slow runs)

#2 an #3 are fatiguing but are performance enhancing. Since you can tolerate only 1-3 of these sessions/ per week, that is where #1 comes in. These are just comfortable runs that maintain general fitness.

Now, if you are just running for enjoyment, these 3 aspects are still of benefit. I can just go out and run 10 miles and it is comfortable. That is not from always just going out and running at a comfortable pace. It is because I have years of experience sprinting my guts out. I also have experiences running much longer distances. Since my body has experienced much tougher things, not only has my body made physiological adaptations which make it better able to tolerate running, but my mental perception of the pace is that it is comfortable.

So, to run long distances comfortably, you need to do intervals (sprints) from time to time. To be able to sprint without dying in the last stretch you need to do long distance runs. Even when I was training for ironman, I would hit the track for 400s, 800s, and mile repeats.

Actually SCB, you have the right kind of program as it is. I see all 3 aspects like I was talking about.

I use electricity posts as a landmark.I sprint the distance between two posts and walk the distance between the next post and so on. I do about

8-10 Sprints and typically 8-10 Walks.I am pretty sure the distance between each post is roughly 100M which is a good thing since your body doesn’t adapt to one distance and some posts are laid out further than other ones.Before you start running like this I would make a few suggestions:

1. Treat this as more of a weight training routine than an endurance routine.So basically take a preworkout if you are into that for your weight training and load up on protein post workout.
  2. Learn to reduce your heart rate by breathing correctly during the walking phase as you don’t have much time to start running again. Breathing with your belly expanding and opening up your posture is the correct way to do it.There are plenty of stuff on You tube teaching this so feel free to look into it
  3. Just like the weight training run your first set of sprints with about 70-80% intensity to warm up.

I used to snowboard back in the home country ,for snowboarding it worked fine as you had to climb a steep hill every time. Given your specific situation, I don’t know honestly.What I do know is that I picked this way of training back when I used to compete in muay Thai and it worked just fine.In fact, I still had gas when most guys were out of breath ,nowadays in BJJ I see many guys training their endurance by long distance runs.I still outperform these in long bouts of grappling.

I used to snowboard back in the home country ,for snowboarding it worked fine as you had to climb a steep hill every time. Given your specific situation, I don’t know honestly.What I do know is that I picked this way of training back when I used to compete in muay Thai and it worked just fine.In fact, I still had gas when most guys were out of breath ,nowadays in BJJ I see many guys training their endurance by long distance runs.I still outperform these in long bouts of grappling.

:frowning: Sounds complicated. I just want to ski for recreation how I like. Does anybody know what is best to have mediocre fitness and live a long comfortable life? These talks always turn into what is best for optimal performance. Most of us have no desire, especially greenie, to win any athletic competition. In addition to continuing to be able to ski how I like, I would also like to be able to get a solid sustained erection well into my eighties. That’s all.

^^^

I did not mean to get to technical. The point I was trying to make is the formula for general fitness is the same formula for elite competition. The difference is scope and intensity.

If you want your ski trips to feel more comfortable, you need to practice efforts that are more intense that what you have to do for the skiing. Whether that is though intense running or burpees or some sort of circuit training, it does not matter. Your body will adapt physiologically (cardiovascular adaptations as well as strength and metabolic efficiencies). More importantly, you will perceive the efforts during skiing to be comfortable so you will enjoy the activity more take longer to feel tiered.

You may also want to try running slower (9 min pace) and for an hour from time to time. Being fit comes from doing the work from both angles (speed./ strength… endurance) Only working on one side of the equation will not make you feel the most fit.

With your 3.5 mile runs, I would recommend sometimes doing this: first warm up then… jog (9min pace) for 3 min… open your stride/ run hard for 1.5min (6:30 pace)…repeat (go right into the jog, active recovery)

Well won’t you be a precious 85 year old skiing down the slope with your erection cutting through the wind… :slight_smile:

^If that happens at 85, I’m fairly certain I will feel no shame. That’s called winning. :slight_smile: Be sure to say hello if you spot me.

KMD is asexual so she won’t notice the wood.

^she is not blind

Sprints > long distance all day. We’ve exhausted this topic already. Go to a track and do sprints, really easy and you avoid the look of confusion among these “common folks”.

As in everything, humans benefit from pushing their bodies and minds beyond perceived limits. All out sprints fall into this category and are hugely beneficial to overall health h (in ways we don’t fully understand). Taleb’s anti fragile concept probably best captures this phenomenon with respect to the human body and health.