Aggravation

^ This is true. Even if I had a billion dollars in the bank, I would not move to NYC. I love to visit, but wouldn’t live there.

And there are some people on this forum who would not move to Midland, TX, even if you offered to double or triple their salary. It doesn’t offer the lifestyle that they want.

Utility and standard of living are not the same thing. The latter is measurable and the former is not. Most people who move to NYC are young and are seeking non-economic gains (excitement of the big city, hope for career advancement, misperception of prestige, etc…). They *forgo* a higher standard of living for these things.

+1 You must have passed all three on your first try. Just a joke people, relax. And i’ll add utility and standard of living is in the eye of the beholder. Sure, we try to quantify it, but it’s different for everyone.

As an aside, I just saw a tax return for a dude out here in Midland. He makes north of $30m per year. He quite literally makes more money in one day than I make in an entire year. And he refuses to join a country club because he thinks they’re too expensive.

He sees no utility. :slight_smile:

It’s pretty common for people to work in expensive places like NY, where they can accumulate wealth at the maximum rate, and then later retire in a cheaper location. Even if the cost of living is high and your savings rate might be comparable to what it would be somewhere cheaper, the fact that you have more dollars to allocate in the first place usually means you have greater flexibility to save or reinvest your income. While a decent standard of living in NY comes with a high dollar cost, to many people, it is worth paying this cost in order to secure a better retirement and more financial stability in the long term.

disagree…if u had a 2 story penthouse overlooking central park and driven around in bentley and hang out with all the rich folks in nyc and go to all the hotspots, you would love it.

I’ll comment for him. He’d pay not to live as you describe, which he is in a sense, as would I.

Are you joking or are you a narcissist?

^dont lie to yourself

You are a narcissist. No worries. Each to their own.

Keep in mind, most people on AF are finance nerds. That puts us one step above programmers on the scale of social awkwardness. Aside from the ocassional poker game you don’t see the big time hedge fund managers rolling into any of the clubs on Stefon’s Must Hit List.

Let me know when you see David Einhorn and Jeff Gundlach behind the velvet rope.

those dudes are married. ive seen some of the most nerdiest dudes from MIT and Haaavard make 180s and turn into semi normal social freaks. and you know what helps them do it? yup $$$$

OMG, Isildurrr. That picture made me get over all the shite in my life.

QQ

I’ve found the quants / nerds to be the most interesting people once you break their shell. They tend to have extremely unique thoughts far different from the typical “bro” boys club banker you speak to.

That picture was never a counter argument, I couldn’t care less about the shit in your life. I just posted it in a thread about a man complaining about his cushy life because I wanted to see people’s reactions to a vulture waiting for a kid to die so it can pick of whatever flesh is left on that kid’s bones.

If anyone really cares though, that kid got up and reached the relief camp and later appeared on a Live Aid concert, the photographer later committed suicide.

I visited some people in an affluent suburb last weekend. They are living the “American dream”, R8 in the garage along with many other cars and a huge multi-million dollar house in a gated community. It was awful. So boring I wanted to get drunk just so I could fall asleep. There is absolutely nothing to do other than stare at nice things, eat and drink. I did watch World Cup which was certainly the highlight of the weekend. And, we went to dinner, which was great because it got me out of that hell hole. I’d cut my nuts off before moving to a suburban wasteland like that. Small towns can be fine, but if I have to drive everywhere…no thanks.

Quant girls are the best. For some reason, I have this weird fetish. The more FOB the better.

LOL

Yah buddy i feel yah, i like girls in glasses. I’ve always had this thing for the librarian look: quiet, timid, but you know deep down there is a yearning for exploration.

Check back when you tire of the bar scene.