All-inclusive resorts

^ Some people need to change geographies to change their state of mind. When lounging out in your backyard, it’s also easy to look at the flower beds and realize that they need weeding, for the neighbors to stopby and annoy you, for the in-laws to call and ask you to pick up something for them at the store, etc. Employers and co-workers also tend to give much less respect to a staycation and are more apt to bother you with work stuff.

^^ depending on how old her kids are, winter vactions might not be an option.

Got it Sir.

As a wifey staycation is never a vacation for me.

Igor’s tip suggestion will come in handy. I had withdrew some pesos from ATM at the airport and then gave hefty peso tips (equiv to $1) per drink I picked up at the bar. Usually though they have fairly lousy liquor and you are not going to get gourmet food. The resort we stayed in had a nice steak restaurant but tha needed a (hard to get) reservation.

I did a 10 day all inclusive at Cancun, I believe it was at a hotel called Oasis Viva -something . I found the trip to be great. prices and food are cheap, unlimited frozen drinks, there were like 3 restaurants + the always unlimited buffet. plus a lot of trips and tours to go on, not just laying on the beach.

Make sure NOT to buy any tour /trip packages from your hotel, go to the small shops and stores that sell them for MUCH cheaper and have buses come to your hotel to pick you up anyway.

I think smuggy is already gone, so this tip can be for others. The people who “greet” you at the airport are NOT with the government tourism office, they are resort sales people. Ignore them and go directly to your rental car or shuttle.

My brother-in-law and his wife are like that. They take vacation to someplace like Hawaii, and they spend 95% of their time laying around on the beach drinking. When they get tired of being on the beach, they go back into the hotel and drink in the lobby. Then they go back out to the beach and sit around and drink. I never understood it either.

I agree with gt11. When I’m out on vacation, I want to be active. I want to see and do as much as I can.

I can think of worse holidays than sitting on a beach getting wasted, reading, and watching HCBs walk by.

You have to see Chichen Itza and Tulum.

^ Chichen Itza must be a million degrees this time of year.

Can’t let hot weather get in the way of seeing one of the Wonders of the World.

Totally agree. I heard they don’t let you climb up the pyramid anymore. Lucky for me, I did it many years ago.

Thanks guys!! We had great time. Service was great and food & drinks were better than I expected.

We took the Xichen tour through the hotel for $118 ( after a $50 discount) for two & half of us. Guess wasn’t a bad deal.

Did the Mayans make you cut a person in half before they allowed you on the tour? Historically speaking, that’s a pretty good deal. Used to they’re burn the whole lot of you.

^ Also read Ready player one. very nice book :slight_smile:

where did you stay? would you recommend it?

Omni hotel. didn’t like the room much but overall the pool areas, staff and service were excellent. They organized lots of activities to keep us engaged and entertained. We converted $50 into pesos at hotel ( they dint charge any transaction fee and gave the rate of 12) and used that money to pay tips generously.

Just got back from a 2 week vacay. Those that don’t think it’s worth it to get away are clearly not doing it right.

^ We were wondering where you were.