Alphabet Soup (CFA, CPA, CAIA, FRM, MBA, MSF, CPM)

I’m sure it’s going to be difficult. I don’t know when I’ll be attempting level 3 but I’m not going to fail L2. Thank you for the support though. I’ll ping you again in July.

Having taken actuarial exams (passed a couple but not an ASA), CFA Exams I and II (passed, taking III in June) and gotten my CAIA, I felt I should weigh in on the subject…

Actuarial exams are harder in the sense that you are doing calculus and high level math. Just studying for the tests used to drive me up a wall because I couldnt’ even understand some of the answers! The problems take like 10-15 minutes each on the actual tests. ASA and FSA desginations are mad legit.

CFA on the other hand is not ‘hard’ in the sense that the material is difficult, but there is SOOO MUCH more material to remember than the actuarial exams. That is why I feel they are almost on par with actuarial exams. CFA designation is legit.

CAIA - I did this cause I was having a kid in May - lousy time if you are writing CFA in June, so took a year off and knocked this out in 8 months. 2 exams. Trying to be like the CFA but still a long ways away. I work in alternatives so it made sense. But I see more and more marketers with this designation, so I will probably not list it when (not if!) I get my CFA.

Actuarial exams >= CFA >> CAIA.

did i say that? I didn’t even make ASA. chill dude.

bump

So what do you say about Mr. Kumar? Dude is going to do it all. haha

Kumar, CFP CFA FRM CPA CAIA MBA PhD

http://in.linkedin.com/pub/anil-kumar-cfp-cfa-frm-cpa-caia-mba-phd/18/343/b49?trk=pub-pbmap

Certified Financial Planner Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst Financial Risk Manager Chartered Financial Analyst London School of Economics and Political Science, U. of London Certified Public Accountant Carnegie Mellon University Harvard Business School Massachusetts Institute of Technology The only thing missing is the JD and MD. But then, his past experiences: Vice President at KKR Derivatives Strategist at Lehman Brothers Trader at Long Term Capital Management Bond Trader at PIMCO LBO Strategist at Drexel Burnham Lambert Trader at Salomon Brothers Trader at Goldman Sachs Damn.

I have a bridge I am interested in selling you. Call me and have your bank info ready.

That dude cant hold a job for more than a year either. Not a great sign.

Have cfa frm caia. Studied for the sake of getting the cert and was granted interview easily because of these three. Help a bit as you already know what is contango etc while your coworker need to learn. Now thinking of adding cmt or cqf. Work in quant fund.

If you just focus on the education, it’s not inconcievable that a guy can have CFP, CAIA, FRM, CFA, and CPA. If you have both CFA and CPA, the CFP should not be difficult. And (as best I can tell), the CAIA and FRM wouldn’t be very difficult after knowing the CFA/CPA/CFP. However… Why a guy would go to LSE, HBS, MIT and Carnegie Mellon is beyond me. What was the matter with the first school? And I also have a hard time believing that a guy could accomplish all of that while holding down a “good” job at any of the above firms.

This profile has b*llsh*t written all over it!

sorry to be blunt, but your incompetency and/or stupidity don’t respresent all the human beings.

I made such a plan when I decided to start ACCA and I did not get punched in the face. Everyone around me thought I was being so unrealistic to expect to complete 14 professional exams in two years time while being full time employed, when full time students usually take 3-4 years to complete it, but I did it. You do not necessarily have to get punched in the face, if you are determinant, know your capabilities and are serious about your plan, you are going to do it. It aint going to be easy but it is doable.

…and now you want me to congratulate you on your ability to cook pancakes and write an email at the same time?

…says the Level 1 candidate.

Nope, not looking for congratulations form people, recieving congratulation emails from professional bodies is much more exciting :wink:

I had just qualified as an ACCA memeber in February 15 and attempted my CFA level 1 for the first time in June 15, so yeah, pretty much level 1 candiate since I had just started… what’s wrong about that? lol

That says it all. Come back after L2 and we’ll see…

lol - I don’t see why I would change my view after level 2 and prefer recieving contragrutations from people rather than CFAI!

You’ll see…

I gotta say, I find the way you are trying to put CFA starters down to be unprofessional, I have seen a similar attitude before when I first started my ACCA, but later on, I found out that most of the things those ‘finishers and finalists’ said were untrue and just an exaggeration.

This is not my first professional exam, I have been through a lot and I realise very well that getting through such exams is all about the hard work, getting the concepts right, practicing a lot of questions and managing the exam itself correctly - So, such negative comments don’t really bother me anymore because I have a good idea on how to tackle professional exams, on the other hand, I am worried about those who don’t have previous experience in this, they will probably take your comments too seriously - So, I am gonna have to ask you to stop such cynical and negative attitude, if you have positive things to say to someone who is starting their studies, say it, if not, keep silent, don’t try to bring others down!

Remember, just because you had a difficult time, it doesn’t mean that everyone will face the exact same level of difficulty. Do not use your experience as an example for everyone; we all have different educational backgrounds, different capabilities, different study style, different aptitude for commitment and devoting time for study, etc… so I guess it doesn’t make sense at all to try and warn others, and specially in this ridiculous manner, about something you found difficult.