Can men and women be friends?

I’d be friends with my gf.

Any way, the question is more nuanced than it seems. Can men and women be friends? Absolutely. I have been and am friends with a good amount of women. I have thought about having sex with every single one, and they have probably done the same thing. For some, I think about having sex and decide it’s gross and I don’t want to. For others, I totally would but circumstances being what they are we can’t/don’t. I can be friends with them while simulaneously wanting to sleep with them (or not) and knowing it will never happen. It’s complicated, but that’s how real relationships are.

If the question is can a straight man and woman be friends without any sexual thoughts or actions ever, then the answer is “no”. But can they be friends? Of course. There’s just an additional complexity.

I do think it’s more common for best friends to be of the same gender because they have more shared experiences. And, because (obviously) if you are best friends with a person of the opposite gender then you’d probably make good partners and you would just be dating…unless the attractiveness differential is huge, but that seems to be a rare occurance.

I think there’s a difference between wanting to pursue something more, and deciding “yes/no” in a theoretical situation where you are given the chance to get physical.

Attractive people are nice to look at, so they therefore score some points as far as people wanting to be around them. That certainly isn’t the only (or even primary) concern when deciding who to be friends with, but it definitely comes into play.

It just so happens that the same charactersitic - “attractiveness” - plays a meaningful role in deciding who you want a physical/sexual relationship with, so naturally there is significant overlap.

Yes, it’s possible, but rare, and difficult.

If you are more of an emotional and sensitive individual, then I can see having some girls as “just friends”. You see some really sensitive guys that are not main stream and would probably enjoy the company of a girl to go see a movie. However, most men are not wired that way, when we hang out we talk sports, drink beer, talk girls and generally act immature. I cannot think of one girl that I would prefer to hang out with in place of my guy friends unless I knew I was “getting some”

That’s because you’re single, and presumably attractive, and most if not all of them are hoping to capitalize on a moment of weakness at some point down the road. If you’re interested in a long-term committed relationship, having a lot of close male friends could actually be hurting your chances, as likely mates will assume that you’ve been intimate with at least one of those friends and not like the idea of having one of your old f-buddies hanging around.

Once again going on the presumption that you’re attractive, don’t expect those male friends to still be around when they get into long-term relationships either, as their new GF’s won’t want you around their man.

Yes. I don’t see why this is so hard for some people. I have several female friends; awesome network to their hot female friends and much easier getting into high-end bars/clubs. I look at it as, don’t kill the golden goose or simply just think of them as your sister/cousin; that should turn you off immediately. (Unless I guess you’re from Kentucky or something).

+1

Agreed.

Cute single chicks have no problems finding male “friends”.

When I was single, lot of guys used to try to have conversation with me. Now that I’m maried this doesnt happen much. Not because I’m not attractive anymore but I believe they know i’m married and they dont want to waste their time. So, from a guy’s perspective answer would be no.

LMFAO

Remind me to nominate this for 2014’s post of the year.

Well, I find that I’m able to be friends with men when there is no sexual attraction, so I don’t see why I wouldn’t be able to be friends with women when there is no sexual attraction. Friendship means that you enjoy their company and you want them to do well and be happy in life, and that you’re willing to lend a helping hand if and when needed and can hopefully count on their (non-sexual) help when you need it.

(CVM had a nice way of putting it earlier in this thread - people can be fun to hang with, even if you don’t want to bang them.)

Then the question for a straight guy is whether it is possible to be friends with a woman you are sexually attracted to. To this, the answer is yes, but the fact that you’re attracted does make it more complicated.

So the real question is whether being sexually attracted to someone will mess up your friendship and make it somehow less friendly or genuine. And the answer to this depends on how deep your frienship is versus how deep your attraction is. Shallow friendship + deep attraction is probably incompatible. Deep frienship + mild attraction isn’t. And in the end, one hopefully finds someone with whom there is deep friendship + deep attraction.

And it also depends on the whether the same levels of friendship and attraction are reciprocated on the other side.

So, there are definitely times when the attraction is so strong that it makes it hard for you to be a real friend. But once you realize that it is not possible or practical to bang every person you are attracted to (particularly if you are a man, and therefore attracted to many many people - thanks testosterone), then you start to realize that you bang some, and friend others, even though maybe you happen to be attracted to lots of your friends.

There is no doubt that being strongly attracted to a friend means that the friendship is harder to manage, because you are tempted to do things that can easily make you re-evaluate the person. But that doesn’t mean you aren’t or can’t be friends. It just means that the friendship takes more work to manage and you have to decide whether that extra work is worth it or not. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn’t.

Then there is the question about making new friends. When presented with the opportunity of “here’s a woman who wants to be your friend,” vs the opportunity of “here’s a woman you might get to sleep with.” Most men would rather spend time with the woman you might want to sleep with. But that doesn’t mean that men can’t be friends with women… it just means that when the choice is framed that way, the possibility of sex is much rarer and more attractive. So maybe that’s why married women don’t get hit on as much (though I think married women simply get hit on more subtly than single women, in practice).

Ultimately, we generally find that our friends just evolve out of our conversations and activities, whereas our sex partners generally have to be chased, charmed, and seduced. That’s why you see men chasing women for sex, but not chasing women for friendship. That doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate friendship when we find it: we do, but just make a face when we’re being offered frienship as if it is a consolation prize after being turned down for sex, in part because even if we accept being friends, our friendship now feels “false” because we’ve already made our attraction known.

Perhaps one of the more helpful things women can do in this situation - assuming that her offer to be friends after a failed pass is genuine, and not simply out of politeness - is to reassure the man that she is not offended that he made a pass and doesn’t think less of him for doing it, but simply is not interested or in that frame of mind. Of course, this assumes that the guy didn’t make his pass in a crude, offensive, or derogatory way.

Finally, when we have girlfriends and wives, they typically try to reign in our availability to other women. So even when we are “just friends” with a woman, our girlfriends don’t typically like it, especially if the woman is attractive. So that complicates things in a way that makes it extra challenging to be friends with an attractive woman when we are in a relationship. Often times, we decide that friendship isn’t worth the bother of trying to defend it from our girlfriends and wives, but that is different than saying we can’t be genuine friends simply because of the fact that we’re a man and she’s an attractive woman.

This doesn’t need to be a theoretical question, you can just answer from your experience, do you have opposite gender friends who you would hangout with other than in group situations.

Fair enough, that’s the type of answers i am looking for.

i want to know how many guys share the same POV. :slight_smile:

I have male friends who i’ve known for over a decade, and we have all dated during this time and we never stopped hanging out.

OCCASIONALLY, i have to say, when my male friends start dating some girls, we see each other less, but that’s only because they want more private time together, that’s completely natural - it can happen to my girl friends too!

But eventually we will resume back to normal, i will have lunch/ dinner with them and it’s all fine.

This is true.

[video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Y2zAj9moY]

I know men spend most of their time thinking about sex, but after a while, you would want to just hangout with people who you don’t need to charm and just be able to be yourself and chill right?

Yes there are male friends you can spend those time with. but like i said, the population is either male or female, there are going to be circumstances, perhpas work environments, where guys are easier to make female friends than male ones.

Especially now, women can have the same jobs as men, i don’t see how men will always just hangout with men.

And on a separte note, i do understand what you mean by girlfriends don’t want their men to hangout with their attractive female friends. NOT THAT I AM SAYING I AM HOT, but i’ve been isolated by my friends’ girlfriends a couple times…

ANYWAY, my point is, that is just after the fact you have become friends, as long as i still think his is my friend, i have no problem staying out of their relationship and respect his gf.

How many of those friends who came back are now married or engaged?

Maybe 2-3? but i don’t have a lot of friends (male or female) who are engaged or married.

Do you often dine with your now married/engaged male friends, or really just the female friends. When you do dine with the now married/engaged male friends, are their significant others there or is it just the 2 of you?