CFA vs. MS FINANCE

yes, for Toronto only. But that is where most of the finance jobs are.

It depends on the reason for beginning the program. If it is only for the letters behind your name, then certainly not finishing would be a waste of time. But if you are doing it to become a better analyst / portfolio manager, then spending time with in the books is not a waste of time regardless of finishing it.

That said, my wife thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown after failing L3 the second time.

I was wishing to capitalise on CFA’s global recognition to find myself a decent job in the domain of finance in Canada. But I think it would not be easy as such.

Back offices in Canada are filled with people that passed all 3 levels of the CFA.

the CFA won’t help you here especially with your puneet accent

Trust me, I am working on my accent.

It means CFA can mean a job promotion or knowledge gained but less chances of getting a job only on basis of clearing CFA Level 2 Exam. I feel there should be a campus placement program conducted by different CFA Societies around the globe. Major problem experienced by a CFA Candidate is lack of knowledge of good opportunities for which he/she has the necessary skill. Getting placed off-campus is very difficult i.e. applying for jobs on internet or mailing your CV. One needs networking which could be provided by local CFA Society. No offense to anyone as this is my personal point of view.

I think the same would be the case if I move to Canada. I feel that employers will give due regard to CFA charterholder but I need someone to get me to employers.

Need suggestions. Please

Hi Puneet,

I can see where you are coming from, but many (if not most) CFA Societies already do networking/luncheon/panel discussion events for that exact purpose.

And yes, people will (in general) prefer to hire a CFA Charterholder over a non-Charterholder, all else equal. What, in my opinion, really matters for an employer is (in order of importance):

1. Do they like you? Are you a good fit for the firm’s culture? Are you easy to get along with?

2. Prior work experience in a related field, preferably in the exact field you are looking to get a job in.

3. Do you have a warm contact within the firm? In other words, is there someone willing to vouch for your work or personality?

4. Educational background.

^ I agree with the above, but I would put 2. before 1.

Theres only about 100,000 CFA Charterholders across the world :s

LOL old thread that just popped up and I read this…must admit I chuckled. Any updates on the job search poon?

If you see MS Finance, maybe you should marry her.

I was researching MS finance programs and most of them brag that they can prepare you for CFA Level 1…:expressionless:

I would agree. I think that most average MSF programs cover about 80% of the level 1 material, and that is it. Both the top ranked business schools, London Business School and IE Business school, say this on their web site in regards to their MSF program. I will give IE business school credit that they make it mandatory that their MSF graduates take level I. I think that is a very good idea.

http://www.ie.edu/business-school/degrees/master-finance

“A 10-month finance program developed by capital markets professionals that prepares students for the CFA level I exam.” IE Business School

“Preparatory classes for the CFA I are mandatory for students of the Master in Finance program. We are confident that this will have many benefits for our students with regards to career opportunities.”

“Other areas covered include: macroeconomics, financial accounting, financial entrepreneurship, presentation skills, and negotiation. In addition to finance courses, students are required to prepare Level I of the CFA Charter, a highly respected international qualification within the finance industry.”

One of reasons I decided to pursue the CFA designation is I don’t want to spend money on MSF with 80% of knowledge I can learn by myself in level 1. But I do think that these MSFs have something to give (if not, who will pay for them)…

Nice to see an old post from the late great Frankie.

Is Frank still around?

Anyway, Puneet if you are reading this, do not come to Canada and expect to get a job. Well, the indian networks in the banks will probably be able to help you get a Back Office position but outside of that you are going to be disadvantaged on multiple levels. Lots of passed Level 3s sitting in back offices in Toronto.

Frankie brought a spark on these boards. May his soul rest in peace.

What’s that mean? Is he retired from AF?

I have this bad feeling he passed away.

Now that I re-read your comment, it makes sense. He sure was a character. I hope he’s doing well wherever he is.