Chicago

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what are the best bars to watch cubs games from? > just in case i can’t get tickets LOL. You can ALWAYS get tickets. As far as bars in Wrigley, check out Goose Island, a brewery with a great patio.

Fogo de Chao and Lawryes

brazilatz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Fogo de Chao and Lawryes I put Lawryes on my steak sometime - it’s delish.

Quick update from Chicago - had pizza at Lou Malnati’s and Giordanos. Both were excellent, if forced to rank them Giordanos would be #1. I also had a 13 oz filet at Harry Caray’s which was delicious. I haven’t been waking up early enough to check out any breakfast suggestions and have just been going to the Corner Bakery Cafe, which is a chain.

flowbe - how’d the trip go? I’m heading up there thursday and leaving sunday. Planning on hitting Wrigley for the Friday game, rib fest afterwards. Finding a local soccer bar for the WC Saturday and possibly some blues fest since we’re staying downtown very near the park. Hopefully we don’t get rained out!!

The trip was good. Too much work to do so I didn’t get to check out Wrigleyville or really do anything fun. My restaurant reviews are in the post right above yours. I know I said no chains in my original post but the hotel had a Palm inside it so we ended up eating there 2 nights just for the sake of convenience (not my idea.) I went to a blues club called Kingston Mines, awesome place. I liked the city and hope to get back when I have more free time to check it out.

Where did you stay? I always end up at the Inter-Continental, which has to be the oldest Inter-Continental I have ever been to. It’s very historical and the pool is awesome in a 1930s kind of way, but the rooms were awful in my opinion. The food at Hari Kari and at some seafood place on the lake I go to but cannot remember the name of has been, on the other hand, awesome.

I stayed at the Swissotel on Wacker. Comfy bed and a decent sized room with a nice view of the water and Navy Pier. My only complaint is that the breakfast buffet is $30. I felt like I was doing something wrong when I listed that meal on my expense report. As previously mentioned, I hit the Corner Bakery for breakfast the rest of the trip.

Eh, the breakfasts are always expensive, but I often view them as part of the experience. If your company has a deal with a hotel go with that and don’t feel bad. If you have a choice of hotels, just go with hotwire.come and feel good about saving the company tons of money while you enjoy your breakfast. Inter-Continental is on near Wacker (what a name), around the Magnificent Mile (what a name again).

i found a good deal on a corporate apartment right on the lakeshore east park, just off e wacker. s/b a good time

got up there last thursday and was able to see a lot. i stayed on the lakeshore east park so downtown/river were very accessible. jumped on the architecture river cruise to get a lay of the land. walked around downtown for a bit before meeting up with a friend off west loop, getting some pizza/beers at Piece wwwpiecechicagocom and watching the world cup. ran through grant park friday to check out the blues fest layout and the updated soldier field. went to the Blackhawk parade, which was slammed. somehow i missed the stand that sold the captain flask and coke bottle party kit that everyone else had. went down the parade route backwards to escape the crowd and to tour downtown. it took a while to get a cab down to hyde park to visit booth, but eventually made it. later that night went to green mill w/ friends to check out Chris Foreman on the organ (a lesser known local legend) wwwgreenmilljazzcom - followed by goose island for the tour de beers. cubs/sox saturday was pretty great. went to goose island to fill up on the ipa and “refreshing” choices. downed a stilton burger and nachos (has anyone ever eaten the cheese-filled breadbowl in the middle?) got bleacher tix for $40 and rolled in pretty easily, despite my buddy’s id being split in half. “Sir, that is not a vaild id.” “Yes it is! Just because its broken doesn’t change the fact that I’m 38!” i think Wrigley Field is the first stadium i’ve been to where they actually let you walk wherever you want. after standing in the bleachers for an hour we walked all the way around the park, stopping just for panoramic views of both the park and tank tops. it looked like it was going to rain so we left for harry caray’s and made some friends. got some group shots with the harry caray bust and got some digits. hit 4 more bars and went back downtown to clean up. after a quick tour of the park/ai on sunday, the plaza oasis summoned us. watch out when you walk in because there’s a bird that lives in the archway that likes to attack people’s heads. i recommend the blood orange caiparinia. went to bella bacino’s for some deep dish. a bird crapped on my friend’s shorts so he decided to feed them instead of kick them. the pizza was great and the beer selection was good. flight was delayed 5 hours due to weather so we sat in the airport bar and drank all the corona and half the corona light. sorry if you didn’t get one. Viva chi-town!!!

Sounds like you had a good time. I hope to get back soon for a fun trip not involving work.

it was a good time i was sad to learn that i completely missed the billy goat cheezburger place from the old snl skit. apparently its right across the bridge from where we got the pizza.

Anyone going up there this week for the Morningstar conference?

mar350 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it was a good time > > i was sad to learn that i completely missed the > billy goat cheezburger place from the old snl > skit. apparently its right across the bridge from > where we got the pizza. i’m not a big fan of the billygoat. i’ve been to both the original (the one the skit is based on) and the the one that is based on the skit, and i was underwhelmed by the food and overwhelmed by the crowd