Chinese Gender Imbalance

that’s like saying all blacks look alike isn’t it?

http://alllooksame.com/exam_room.php

Is gender imbalance going to make gay marriage happen in China?

I think gaymen are born, not made.

Its extraorindary that the Newsweek subheading is ‘How China’s one-child policy backfired on men’. Yes 10% of the male population won’t be able to get married if they so wish, but that’s because 10% of the female population were aborted before birth! Surely if it backfired on one gender more than the other, it’s women, no?

China is not alone in this of course. India has 91 girls for every 100 boys apparently. Those two countries combined account for more than 1/3rd of the global population.

Can anyone do any analysis to figure out what % of girls are aborted?..

I got 8/18 on the first exam (horrible) with the average being 7. To be fair though, asking people to identify between Japanese, Chinese and Korean seems comparable between asking people to tell Italian from Spanish or German from France or the UK. I think most people would fail a test asking to identify Mexican from Colombian.

Pretty sure this was covered in L2.

I’m really not against abortion. Actually, I’m all for it. Hitler was a fetus at one point. I just don’t think that choice should given to women.

I did even worse, 5 out of 18.

Didn’t expect that from you.

Unless, I am misunderstanding… Are you saying the power of making (one of the most crucial) decision with regards to my body/life should be given to anyone other than me?

A lot of body decisions are not up to you. Like using heroin (which you cannot use legally). I’m not taking a side in the abortion debate, but it’s clear that individual body rights are balanced against some perception of societal effect.

Is it just your life? Doesn’t it affect the father of the baby’s life too? Unless of course the baby was conceived by itself, you know like Anakin Skywalker. But I digress.

Yes, I think I should have the final say when it comes to your pregnancy. Please keep me posted.

I thought Anakin was conceived by mitochondria or whatever.

Abortion talk – moved to its own topic.

Biggest failure in the prequels. (Other than Jar-jar, and the bad acting, and the over-rehearsed lightsaber scenes…but I digress.) They basically reduced the Force (Jehovah, Zeus, the Matrix, and the One Ring all wrapped up into one) to a bunch of bacteria that float around in your blood.

^ at least there was an attempt to explain it scientifically albeit a weakly pieced together attempt. The whole virgin conceives a son thing is a bit to obvious of an archetype. Nothing in hollywood is original these days and even supposed “new literature” is retread or plagiarism of classical stories. I think the reason the original star wars series was so good was because they didn’t have to explain details- you know that you were being thrown into an already developed world with character’s of varrying histories that were not essential to the main plot line. When the author tries to explain every minute detail of the universe it sucks the life out of the story, case in point GoT.

edit: star wars and star trek should never be confused

Hayden Christensen got criticized a lot for the prequels but Natalie Portman was pretty bad in it as well…

A bad explanation is worse than no explanation. The Force is basically magic anyway. It would have been fine to not explain it scientifically.