Cutting cable

BSDs should act like BSDs, not reenact their poor college days.

I just had the opposite experience with Comcast this week. I only had internet and my internet just came off the first year so I lost my promotional price. I call them up and like I’m not paying this. Guy says, well, I can give you basic TV + HBO for $5 more a month than what you were paying on the promotion. Keep in mind this is $10 less then what the internet only price is. So I now have basic cable and HBO, though I’ll wait to start watching shows until after the exam.

^They’ll pretty much always keep giving you the promotional price. You just have to call them up and harass them until they do (threaten to switch to another provider). I used to do that, but then I got too lazy and just let 'em fleece me. The main reason why I don’t do get a similar deal and just stick with internet is that the Comcast place near where I live is kind of a hassle to get to without a car. So after the yearly promotion when the price goes back up returning the cable box would be more work than it’s worth . Comcast really likes to price discriminate to get you to subscribe to TV and Internet.

good setup. I download everything with vuze and then stream it on my ps3. The only downsides to this is if something is in a .rar file I have to extract it then use my external hard drive or if it’s a .mkv file I need to use my laptop with hdmi cable to watch it on my tv.

^Mkv’s and playing stuff with subtitles was a major reason I ditched the ps3. You could put XBMC on your laptop and connect to TV and try that.

^ yes! Subtitles are a huge problem now. I’ll try out xbmc after the exam

Theres a program called Media Converter that will convert almost any file into almost any format. Works pretty well.

^The main issue is that I have TBs of media files. Converting all those files would be a headache. A big problem is the subs. They tend to only play well on a PS3 if they’re burned in. Separate files or MKVs with subs are a nightmare. Those programs are usually not set up to batch convert huge amounts of files with subtitles. Also, if the MKV is 1080p and you convert it, it will be huge and still not play on a PS3 properly. Or what about dual audio files.

By contrast, you could buy an HDMI cable and hook up a computer to TV and set up XBMC pretty easily. When you add stuff to XBMC, there’s a general video files area that you could use to get to whatever you need without having to do all the fancy things like renaming all the files the right way (thank you, TheRenamer) to really get the most out of it. The only tricky part (as I mention above) is controlling your computer, which isn’t even a big deal if you do this by laptop.

how poor are u guys

I see Amazon just released this Fire TV set-top box to challenge Apple TV and Roku.

I’m surprised that the Amazon box costs $99. I thought they would follow their Kindle Fire strategy and beat the pricing on all their competitors while making money on content sales.

@igor555 I don’t cut cable to save money because I really don’t save that much money (see my earlier point about how Comcast price discriminates so that it’s only a little bit more to add TV to internet). The main reason I cut the cable is that I didn’t want to be tempted to watch TV for shows that are just a time suck. When I had cable, I watched shitty reality shows that were really just a waste. Since I’ve stopped cable, I don’t have that issue at all. I have to be very purposeful in watching whatever I watch. My life is better for it.

Either people are having a hard time getting by or they are cheap.

I didn’t know my wife posted on AF!

^ I’m cheap. I also don’t pay any banking fees and I turn off the lights in rooms I’m not using and don’t waste food.

Ha

Nobody here is poor, but cable is a ripoff. I think we’ve basically proven here that you can get 80% of the content offered by cable providers for less than half the cost.

Sorry to have been right about this.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/25/media/aereo-supreme-court-ruling/index.html

Damn. Aereo had plenty of bugs, but it was a step in the right direction.

I don’t know much about copyright law, but it seems that Aereo was doing what cable and satellite companies do without paying broadcasters any kind of retransmission fee.