Deep Thoughts by CvM 20+14

I think that it’s reasonable for your boss to want to find out more about you. It’s a benefit you now know what makes him tick, but I wouldn’t want to be in your shoes. I would lie if I didn’t say I’m motivated by money, but it’s not just to accumulate it. It’s to have enough to experience things I wouldn’t otherwise. This requires not working all the time, but it doesn’t mean 250m.

Question: Would you rather have 10-15 mill at 30 or 250 mill at 50?

I would take option 1.

My man, quoting the trial of socrates and preaching about lifting in the same sentence, great stuff. I remember listening to that quote and thinking, did socrates really just say that. He actually contridicts himself by stating vanity, as it relates to the body, is the biggest detriment towards enlightenment. In other words, focusing on swole takes away from your devotion to spirtuality. Fun fact of the day, he also hated his wife and could have avoided the death sentence entierely if he wasnt such a thick headed person.

Depends on how much money you will have between ages 30 and 50.

Cool Thread.

Ultimately we have on an average 65-75 years of decent quality life on this planet barring cancer/ mental illness. If he want’s to spend a chunk of it making money in the hope that life doesn’t flip the finger later on so that he can enjoy the last decade or so more power to him.

If he’s working 16+ hours a week how i wonder what kind of bonds he could’ve created with his family assuming he has one. Just doesn’t seem worth it for 250m in the bank.

Also how the fk do you work 12+ hours? Do you even have any prodctivity beyond 8? Are there any professions apart from finance and medicine that demands this kind of commitment?

Respect to those who’ve sounded off. This is a sanity check amongst other serious financiers. I’m happy to know I’m not the only one still values a balanced life. I threw my 20s away chasing experience, money, education, certificates, and what not. All I have to show is a few slips of paper on the wall and a decent IRA account. I bet I could have got my same job without the MBA, CFA, CAIA, and FRM.

12 hour days are the norm. I won’t lie, lots of it is face time after ~10 hours. It sucks, but it’s what I ‘need’ to do to look like a hardcharger like my boss. In all honestly we’re not this busy where these types of days are demanded.

You best be getting 300k+ man.

My sis gets ~150k, works 8 hrs a day max, they send to all sorts of places around the world all paid for and paid for her MBA. She isn’t even that smart. That’s enough for me.

How do they check if you’re in? Can’t you tailgate, go drink for a couple of hours, come back and swipe out?

Far From.

No. My cube is next to my boss’ office.

Finance and Surgery aren’t there in this list…what shit.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/10-most-stressful-and-10-least-stressful-jobs-of-2013/

How do accountants fare any idea?

Honestly dude? With the credentials you have, you should be killing it. Perhaps i should do some recruiting for my firm and get you the compensation you deserve.

^ Respect.

And yes, far from. I recall the spreadsheet from way back when with compensation details. Even buysiders were barely cracking $200k all in. Most jobs on there were high 5s low 6s for total comp. Someone bump that up. We should make it a stickey.

Wait, I am confused now. I thought your boss was thinking about Mitt Romney level wealth of $250 million. You sit next to him and he pays you no where near the same level? Or did you actually mean $250 thousand?

^ Yeah, $250 million.

I’d guess he makes 1.2-1.5 more than me. He thinks he’ll win a share in equity or something giving him some big ups.

Where is that spreadsheet? Can you bump it?

how do u sleep well with all those rats running around, or u got rid of em?

You know what makes people happy? Memories. It takes money to create some memories, but it doesn’t necessarily take a lot to make most of them.

At the end of the day, people remember things they did. When you have interesting stories to tell, it means you’re having fun in life. Staying in an office for 15 hours a day doesn’t allow you to make many memories. Neither is being broke. There is a fine balance in between.

There is a quote I like a lot. Someone told me January 1st is the first page of a 365 page book.

My response: Fill that book up with magic moments. You won’t regret it.

Quality memories. It’s the same BS as “Quality time” except now you’re both the giver and the reciever.

But I agree that it’s the memories and experiences of life that are ultimately most important, and the real purpose of money is to enable you to make meaningful and pleasurable ones, preferably with people whose company you enjoy and respect and perhaps even love.

That is interesting as a VP level software engineer in finance makes ~ 230-250k all in

Completely disagree. Memories are recollection of things that happened in the past. I only care about the future as that is the only thing you can change - thus i care deeply for my kids and my continuation. It really is mind boggling that in 2100 or 2200 some one will be alive on this earth because you made it happen.

Granted, I’m older than most on the forum (55). I also lost a kid a few years back. So my experience and perspective might be different than the typical AFer. That said, here’s my $0.03 (inflation and long-windedness).

I didn’t figure out what I wanted to be until on my honeymoon at age 31, I finally knw I wanted to get a phd in finance and be a college prof. Money’s been ok but not great, and I work with some weird folks and in the most bureaucratic industry (higher ed) you can imagine. BUt I love my job at least 3 1/2 days out of every five, which is pretty good.

As you get older, you think more and more about things like legacies. And the most important one is the relationships you have - particularly with your family. Most extremely successful BSDs who work the 80+ hour weeks have miserable relationships with their wife and kids, and often have multiple divorces and asholes for kids.

I on the other hand have just celebrated my 22nd year with the wife, and have two great kids. And have I said I love my job?

It’s trite, but no one evers says on their death bed, “Damn! I wish I’d spent more time at the office”.

But I agree with gamblingeconomist - gotta play the game and shine the boss on if you want to get ahead there.

I agree with csk. memories in and of themselves do not provide happiness. memories/past experiences are very important in building self esteem and eventually wisdom, but they are the result of happiness, not the cause. happiness comes from identifying your values and acheiving them. those values can be ANYTHING as long as they are moral - working 80 hours a week to create something, working 40 hours a week plus spending 40 hours strenghtening your family relationship, spending 80 hours a week helping others learn how to live - whatever it is you value highest over the long term. again, your values have to be moral (i.e. tend to preserve or enrich human life) in order for their achievement to provide happiness. becoming the best meth cook the world has ever seen cannot provide true happiness. when you are successful at achieving your values, you have positive memories associated with it, you build self esteem and you gain wisdom. the source of happiness is the achievement of values.

As an aside - people who equate money to happiness are missing the point and many are likely not happy. if you are doing something you love, the money is incidental as long as it provides for your basic needs. doing something you don’t ‘love’ in order to make money that you think will provide happiness by spending it is a sucker’s game. making money doing something you love attaches pride to the spending of that money, and it is a far greater feeling spending money you’ve earned doing something you love, because the things you buy are a physical manifestation of your acheivement of your values, so they carry great meaning. When I buy an S4 this year, it will be far more valuable than the $40k i drop on it because it will be a physical representation of the values i achieved. when a trust fund baby does the same thing, he gets a car with no meaning attached to it, so it provides no happiness. this is why most late generation rich people dispise money, there is no meaning attached to spending it.