Desired Salary

^^^ +1… im with igor555 on this. pass the drink juice down =)

think I effed up the final round on this. The guy finally asked what my expecatation was on salary(said they had narrowed the candidates down to a couple people). I said that I could give him what im currently making, and so I did that(with a $20k range and my salary at the low end of it).

^ If you get an offer it will probably be just below your low range. In my experience, they’ll always hit right under it, expecting you’ll counter with your bottom number as you said that number was acceptable. If you want more than your bottom number you need to explain why their pay package sucks, lacks vacation and the bonus is bad. If their vacation is good and incentives are solid, you’re probably stuck.

can someone in a 50k job really move to anew role and negotiate for 100k? Given 100k is reasonable amount for the new position? How can someone jump like that?

Numi, in your opinion what is considered a big jump?

You can have bigger jumps than that, but it really depends on the situation. My friend switched into a hedge fund during the end of the mortgage crisis while the firm was heavily shorting the ABX index. He made seven figures that first year. In his prior job he was making less than six figures. No MBA. But, for most lateral moves, you’re usually going to get offers 10-20% above your current salary unless you have a very desired skillset. Also, if you switch into a Hedge Fund/PE/VC/IB, it is a little different.

talk about jackpot good for him!! What does he do now? Still BIG SHOT?