Extending Battery Life on my (Android) smartphone

Are you aware how little energy your phone uses over an entire year? You have some misfounded views. I almost took a screen shot of the message from my S5 today to prove a point, but am too lazy to disprove someone with such weird views on the issue. Please refer to the link if you are actually interested in the variables at play in batteries.

Says the guy who buys phone who purposefully make it where you can’t change the battery, forcing the user to upgrade the phone due to worsening performance.

Pretty sure you could get an unsecured loan at a competitve rate to buy tons of batteries Wendy can destroy! We could all invest in the loan so she could get funded quickly to prove us all wrong on the way batteries work.

How long have you had your phone Wendy? I used to think the same as you and would charge my phone (a Galaxy S3) all night, every night and everthing was wonderful for about 20 months. Then, the battery went downhill very, very, quickly. With about 1 month left until I was eligible for an upgrade, the battery had degraded to the point that even though it said it was 100% charged, I couldn’t use the phone unless it was plugged in. I bought a new battery (closer to $25 than $10, but still not a huge deal) and now everything is fine again. I now unplug my phone when it tells me to and won’t even bother to charge it overnight if it’s at greater 50% when I go to bed.

What makes you think the degradation was related to your charging method though? The document that rawraw linked above suggests that a battery that goes from fully-charged to fully-discharged once a day should last 10 to 16 months. Your experience doesn’t seem too out of line with that.

^ I sampled a huge number of people who have had the same phone for more than 2 years (5 or 6 people) and none of them charge their phones over night and none of them have had battery issues. The phones were mostly iPhones and a couple of Samsungs.