(First) Marathon under 4.00 hours - tips please

^This. In addition try to avoid increasing speed and distance in the same workouts.

I just did the math comparing the winning times on the Olympic marathon to the 20k and 50k race walk. I got 12.3mph, 9.44mph, and 8.59mph, for marathon, 20k, and 50k, respectively. That means that the guys in the 50k race walk are still doin’ like a mile every 7 minutes. Damn I am slow.

Saw an interview with one of the US race walkers and he said his PB mile is just over 5 minutes.

Planning to buy Garmin Forerunner 405. Is this good enough to keep good track with precision and track my race day splits to the smalled second? any other watch in this bracket or range less than $200?

I have the 410, which for all intensive purposes, is the same thing. I’m not a big fan of bezel navigation, but the watch is probably the best investment I ever made. I have data going back to last summer and can do all sorts of data analysis if I wanted to. Compared to the actual timing chips used during races, my times are off by a few minutes for a 5 mile race, which is negligible in my opinion.

I have a forerunner that I use sometimes for training and such. Generally though, for races I just wear a cheap digital Casio timer (it’s small) or use the posted electronic signs with split times every couple miles. Don’t try to overly micromanage your pace. Ball park where you sould be within a minute or two of rounding and then just figure if you’re high or low and adjust. I really don’t worry about splits until the last 10 miles or so. If I pass a sign at mile 18 saying XXXX time has passed, I’ll go hmmm, do I need to pick up or back off my pace? Keeping in mind your personal time may be slightly quicker than the posted course time due to starting further back. In 3 miles if I pass another sign I make an adjustement based on that. Doing the math in my head also helps give me something to think about.

strap a motor on your back ala the Really Rottens in the Laugh-A-Lympics

I’ve got the Garmin 610 and its pretty sweet. It was ~$50 more than the previous model I had but its all black and I can wear it daily so I thought it was worth it. I also was not a fan of the bezel controls on the old one that would go off from sweat.

Honesly my biggest influence in which one to buy is always to just get whats availible at COSTCO. It falls under the standard “guaranteed forever for whatever reason” policy, so I basically bought one and know I will never have to pay up again. My 410 or whatever the other one was had the backlight go out after 2 years so I took it to my local store and got the new model for a couple bux more.

Its so cool for non-workout things too. I kept a “workout” running as I travelled all around china and when I got home it pulled up a map of all my adventures (sweet!). The Garmin Connect platform is really great in terms of motivation since you can share stuff, create workouts, create goals, compare performance… all sorts of geeky analysis to keep you motivated.

Thanks for the tips, I will check the local COSTCO store tonight. I precisely needed a black/grey watch that does not stand out loud much, so that I can also wear it to work etc.

L3Crucifier,

Your half marathon split suggests that you are already a good runner and can do the full in well under 4 hours. Here are my 2 cents:

-for your first full marathon, revise your primary objective to be “just completing the marathon”. This will take the pressure off you. You will almost certainly complete the marathon in under 4 hours with good preparation. The last thing you want is to get to finish your first marathon in 4 hours and 1 min and be absolutely gutted. Completing your first marathon is a major achievement in its own right. I am not advocating mediocrity, but I am speaking from experience as an long distance trainer.

-for your subsequent marathons, you can set time goals. Long distance running is a bug, once you catch it, you dont stop.

• to run a sub-4 hour marathon, you need to maintain a sub 9 min/mile pace. An 8’45 pace for the first 20 miles will be great, your pace is likely to deteriorate in the last 6 miles. Try to start slowly at the beginning, remember, it is a marathon not a sprint. You will probably think that you are stronger than you really are on race day so try not to start too fast. Above all, run your own race.

• Long runs are most important and please remember to carb-load before your long runs and before the race itself.

• nothing can prepare you for what lies beyond the 22/23rd mile. You will have to dig deep, running pace often declines but if you have trained well, you will be fine and will come home in good time.

• drink lots of water over the next two months, and try to stay injury-free. Staying hydrated even when you are not running will help keep your muscles loose. Stretch before and after running. If possible, treat yourself to a deep tissue massage at least once a fortnight.

• get your gait analyzed and invest in good running shoes,

• read and share experiences with other runners on runnersworld.com

Good luck and happy running.

Superb advide Lysistrata. All very good points.

Also one other dilemma that I am in - I registered for 2 full marathons in the month of Nov.

• ING NYC Marathon on 4th Nov (Can be postponed to 2013)
  • Philly Marathon on 18th Nov (No such option)

Do you guys thing this is crazy for a first timer - is 15 days gap good enough time to recover and finish the next one?

I could defer the NYC marathon to 2013, but would want to go for it - as I got this because of getting rejected 3 consecutive times in the lottery. I definitely wish I had the Philly first and then the NYC so that I know what I am in for in the NYC marathon, which I have heard is a pretty nastry track for a 1st timer :expressionless:

What do you all suggest out of the below options? A. Do both - NYC and Philly B. Do Philly only and postpone NYC for 2013 C. Do none as there is hardly any time left to prepare for any kind of marathon and better not to injure myself in the course.

Do both. It’s not advised, but I ran a pretty similar schedule when I started (six marathons in 3 months). It’s not ideal for setting great times, but if you just want to have fun and enjoy the races, then it’s the way to go. Just be sure to give yourself 4 days off or so after the first one, then ease back in. If your’e going to do both though, you’re going to have to push yourself harder in training, logging more miles a week to get those recovery times down.

Hi L3Crucifier,

Train for both, it will take the pressure off you when you run in your first marathon. Whether you actually do both will depend on how you feel after the first one.

If you run a great first marathon, then you can chill out and just go and have fun during the second one. If however, things dont quite come together during your first marathon, you get to run a redemption marathon in two weeks.

Black Swan is right, try to rest for about 4 days after your first one. Also, take your weekly long runs seriously, it will help your body get used to recovering after distance running and will help shorten your recovery times.

Thanks Black Swan and Lysistrata!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-23/new-york-city-marathon-cancels-baggage-check-for-47-000-runners

^ Got an email from them today morning and really got frustrated reading. How in the world would a runner do anything without a wallet and a cellphone after the race! sucks big time…

This sucks since I’m coming from Queens. I’m thinking about splitting a hotel room w/ someone so I can leave my stuff there, have a place to shower after the race, get to the Rangers game, and party afterwards.

Some good new there, bpdulog yes

Dear Runner,

We have some good news to share with you. We’ve heard your feedback regarding the No-Baggage policy we announced recently, and we understand your concerns. We have worked with our city agency partners and have developed a new solution for the 2012 ING New York City Marathon. You’ll now have the option of either checking a bag for this year’s race or choosing a No-Baggage “Early Exit” option.

This adjusted 2012 marathon plan includes the use of reconfigured space that will enable us to offer a baggage option for those of you who prefer it, while still easing finish-line congestion and providing a better and safer post-race experience.

You will be able to choose from two options:

New No-Baggage “Early Exit” option: If you choose this option, you’ll be guaranteed the earliest exit from Central Park. After you finish, you’ll receive a Marathon Finish Line Poncho and a long-sleeve limited-edition T-shirt, and have fastest access to the Family Reunion area, “Call Home” stations, and public transportation.

Baggage option: If you choose this option, you’ll check baggage in the Start Village and pick up your bag as you leave Central Park at exits farther up on West Drive. Please note that we still anticipate congestion, and it could take up to an hour to retrieve your bag and exit the park. The bag will be smaller than in years past (although large enough to hold shoes, warm clothing, and small personal items).

Our commitment to putting your safety first led to the introduction of the new No-Baggage policy. Although the adjustments to the 2012 plan allow us to offer a choice, the more people who choose the No-Baggage option, the better your post-finish experience will be. We encourage all of you to seriously consider the advantages of our No-Baggage “Early Exit” option.

We will e-mail you on Monday with more details and directions to log in to your profile to make your choice. Please watch for this e-mail as the timeframe for your response will be short. Once you select your Baggage option, you’ll be able to download your registration form (including your bib number). Check out our FAQs for more information or direct any additional questions to our customer service team, who will respond as quickly and thoroughly as possible over the next few days and leading up to race day, November 4. You can also call 212.860.4455, and press 2 for customer service.

Please know that all of us at NYRR are deeply committed to you. We hope that having two options to choose from will help you have the very best marathon-day experience.

On behalf of our entire team,

Well, if you get under 4 hours, you will at least beat Paul Ryan’s best time!

And even if we don’t do a sub 4, I wouldn’t come here and say “Under three, high twos. I had a two hour and fifty-something.” and lie about it on public forums :slight_smile: