Formula 1 thread

I do think it’s funny that the US has a collective semi for Spieth. I get that people want to get behind their countryman and you’ve not really had anyone in golf since Tiger and most people probably didn’t really get behind him because of the whole underlying race thing you have here but Spieth aint all that, I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t win another major.

^ I’d be shocked if Spieth never wins another major. He doesn’t have the overall game of Day, McIlroy or DJ, but when he’s hot on the greens he’s close to unbeatable. He’s a few horrible holes away from already having 2-3 more majors, so really can’t see him being shut-out the rest of his career. He also doesn’t have the injury history of Day or McIlroy, or the substance abuse issues of DJ, so he’s likely to have more opportunities to contend. I don’t think he’ll get 10 majors but another 3 or 4 is not unreasonable over the next 10 years.

Personal preference totally - I would have chosen the same as you 5 years ago (hated golf then) but time has mellowed me out. Golf is a fun game/sport (don’t enjoy that debate) if you give a serious go. It’s a lifelong battle for improvement with diminishing gains.

I personally like Spieth the best out of the current crop, good head on his shoulders and a consistent game. I hope he does well.

Sorry to derail the F1 convo.

Just booked flights for me and the wife to Austin for US Grand Prix. Will be my first GP, have seen a bunch of NHRA events but thats never really been my thing…

Big F1 fan here.

Love Ferrari. Can tolerate Red Bull, Williams, and the smaller teams.

Can’t stand McLaren (Ron Dennis in particular), or Lewis Hamilton (though I admit that he’s a gifted driver).

Favorite drivers: Schumacher, Barrichello, Vettel, Alonso, Webber, Coulthard. And Verstappen (Max, not Jos). And Eddie Irvine.

What a strange comment. Tiger grew the game more than anybody in the history of the game. His crowds were bigger than the game had ever seen, or has seen since. And those crowds were mostly white people. And he was the highest paid athlete on the planet for a while. Every white kid golfer wanted to be Tiger. I guess you weren’t around during tiger mania. Where did you get the idea that race limited his popularity? Being half Asian, a quarter white and a quarter black, with some native American mixed in, helped with the marketing. Now if you’re an ugly female tennis player, the World doesn’t give two shits about you.

Today’s race was fairly uneventful, Hamilton racing himself the whole time as no one was able to get near him, disappointing for Petronas as Rosberg give up 2nd place with a poor start, followed by a bad pit when serving his time penalty. Verstappen continues to impress me. Vettel continues to be a whiner. Magnussen was fighting hard early on. Enjoyed the open radio rules, they should continue that.

Interesting that you dislike Hamilton but like Vettel. They’re both cut from the same cloth, bratty little whiners

any insights as to why Rosberg keeps winning in Qualifying and keeps getting on poll but Hamilton keeps winning? Is it the mind games?