Home of the Brave and Land of Opportunity (Black and Poor need not apply)

^ What a boneheaded generalisation.

Be realistic, the whole world sees it.

You are American?

Dont you live in India in your moms basement? So…why are you claiming to have this liberty in the “land of the free” i.e. America…if you don’t live here…

I heard that LAPD is considering hiring Pradeep Sharma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pradeep_Sharma

If they can’t come to terms with him, they’re going to make an offer to Daya Nayak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daya_Nayak

Isildurr wants to be an American so bad it hurts his stomach…

Isn’t it funny how just about all of the witnesses in Ferguson are “rappers”? Perhaps if young blacks applied themselves to more reasonable pursuits, they might not wind up selling drugs, robbing convenience stores, and getting shot by cops. Just sayin’.

No, I’m not. In fact, I’ve got lots of issues with America! But if you think all their cops are militant wanna-be soldiers shooting black people for shits and giggles, your really over generalising. The vast, vast majority are quality folks doing their jobs. Sure, there are a few nutsos, there are in all lines of work. But if you saw some of the shithole communities in the US that these guys have to go into at night, alone, against thugs armed with automatic weapons and body armour, you’d have sympathy for why they would want to protect themselves. You know, so they can go home to their kids after a day of keeping the riff raff of society off your front lawn for you. Much of the crime issue in the US has to do with two simple factors: 1 - Massive inequality and 2 - Absurdly lax firearms regulation (now, I’m OK with folks owning firearms, but the US takes this too far) But its mostly item #1. The militarisation of police in the US has everything to do with the ghettoised areas and the well armed thugs residing in them.

I think it has a lot more to do with 9/11 and the resulting fear that police forces would be outgunned in a serious terrorist attack (think Mumbai 2008).

The reality is that “thugs” in American ghettos tend to be armed with pistols, not automatic weapons. They rarely attack cops out of nowhere, because it’s a game they can’t win. And if some thugs do happen to start up a gunfight with more substantial weapons, a SWAT team is ready to take them down (and SWAT has been around for decades).

Blacks are more often shot because they are much more prone to violent criminality. This is true not just in the US, but all over the world. They are more likely to be chased after robbing a store, or mugging a woman, or engaging in a gang-related crime. That just sometimes ends in their death, so they are more likely to be killed by cops.

All of these attempts to complicate the issue are just aimed at avoiding this readily observable fact (out of the fear of being labeled a “racist”).

Well, I’m not claiming this is race driven, but rather driven by inequality. That just happens to affect blacks more in the US (and globally). You don’t see rampant gang activity on the US scale in Europe because people are less often forced into desperate acts of violence for sustenance.

There are also far fewer blacks. The US is over 14% black. Compare that to the UK, which is (according to Wikipedia) 2.5% black. In France, it’s estimated to be less than 4%. In Germany it’s less than 1%.

So even if blacks were killed while committing crimes at a rate comparable to that of the US, the total number would be far lower.

I don’t buy that argument entirely. Toronto has a large black population (its just barely 50% white) yet has a significantly lower crime rate than comparably sized US cities. For example, Washington has more white people than Toronto, but significantly more crime. As long as Americans believe this nonsense that blacks are inherently more violent, little progress will be made on addressing the causes of crime and violence.

Americans by and large deny this fact. People are scared to even mention it, lest they be labeled “racist” and marginalized professionally. And, in fact, the US has sunk trillions of dollars into the betterment of blacks since the 1960s.

BTW, according to the 2011 NHS census, Toronto is 8.5% black (Asians make up most of the non-white population). That’s still just a little higher than half of the US population.

No progress is going to be made on “addressing the causes of crime and violence” in America. It is only going to get worse…be realistic.

Actually, oh logical one, violent crime has actually declined pretty steadily in the US since 1990. It’s less than half the rate now than it was then.

Okay analyst, who admitted they are not a real analyst.

Oh logical one. I never said that I’m an “analyst” because I’m not an entry level lacky. What’s your point?

Inky you sound like a real Isuldurr right now.

You might wanna stop analyzing then. You aren’t very good at it.

The mindless War on Drugs is the biggest contributing factor to inner city violence. Black youth face a choice of busting their asses working minimum wage (if such a job is even available) or going on the dole and dealing drugs, where they can make multiples of what an honest day’s work would make them in a fraction of the time. Many such young people never had a moral compass instilled in them by family since many come from fatherless households, and so along with participation in the underground economy, they develop a lack of respect for others and themselves. Until the myopic War on Drugs is ended - and it can only end were drugs to be legalized - there will be that element in the inner cities that deals drugs and kills each other over turf, money, etc. But then again the law enforcement lobby would never allow that because not only thousands of DEA/FBI/local narcs would be out on the street, the peddlers of sophisticated surveillance equipment and related accoutrement would be as well. Such organizations donate to political campaigns; drug dealers by and large don’t.

^ What would all those youths do if they could no longer make a living dealing drugs?