How much money is enough?

I have the M&P shield 9 for carry and love it. Also have a Kimber .45 but its not nearly as concealable. Don’t do any hunting myself but I’ve got an AR-15 that would probably get the job done smiley

edit: the Sig p226 & glock 19 are good handguns. You should get over to the range and put a few hundred rounds through a few before you make a decision.

Or just find stimulation elsewhere?

Yeah right. You are going to stay in youth hostels when you go on vacation, like when you were in school? Things change.

What exactly are you trying to say anyway? If your income changes from $50k to $500k, I guarantee you will spend a lot more. You’re going to spend a ton on things you would have considered to be unnecessary before.

^ Stayed at a hostel one night in Liverpool last summer. It was an interesting experience.

My philosophy on saving money is that it’s just not worth counting pennies, but the big ticket items add up… example is I’m taking a vacation and instead of leaving Friday night after work I’m saving $1,000on airfare by traveling on Saturday (combination of points and award miles)… for my family… yeah the extra day would be nice in a 10 day vacation but it made sense for me… goes into my wine budget

Last year I went to Costa Rica and although the 4 Seasons may be one of the nicest hotels in the world we stayed at Andaz down the road at half the price and still pretty damn luxury.

Think about the next time you buy a home… negotiating the price down a few thousand dollars will cover for all those $3 coffees over the years.

I’m thinking of getting the Sig P226 MK25. Navy Seal sidearm b. Held a few at various gun shows in VA but never bought one. Also never fired one. I’ve fired my brother’s P226 several times at the range and it’s great. MK25 is cooler though.

Agreed. Some dude and his gf just went to Portugal and stayed at a Hostel (he’s well into his 30’s and is supposed to have a professional career, but it’s def not a super high paying job). It just seemed like something you don’t do anymore at that age…especially if you’re with your b.

Tim Ferris just interviewed Mr. Money Mustache. Figured it would be of interest to those in this thread:

http://tim.blog/2017/02/13/mr-money-mustache/

Pretty interesting take on how much money is enough. 25x your annual expenses.

dp

Infuriating to me people that are “rich” and count pennies… an old boss of mine actually called a rental car company that charged him 69.99 instead of the advertised 69.95… was on the phone for over an hour in front of me …

That’s how we stay rich!

Yes

When I was traveling a couple years ago (in my mid 30s) I went for a variety of experiences all in the same trip. I stayed in a hostel while in the remote areas of Montenegro but classed it up at a lux seaside hotel in Croatia. There is something missed in luxury travel. Sometimes it is better to get some grit in your experience. That being said, I had to suffer during my Croatia visit due to the bedbug bites I got in Montenegro frown

I get the non-luxury travel. I do that when I go to Cuba because I’m trying to immerse in the culture and I stay in people’s houses, but Portugal??? Who stays at a hostel in Portugal???

yo bs you gonna show the dude whos daddy next time someone tries to break your window in traffic?

I thought it was by drinking Gallo wine.

Thinking of going to Cuba for a week in April with the family. Any tips?

Don’t buy that glock or SIG if you plan to carry. People who don’t carry ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS get suckered into buying a full sized or mildly compact frame thinking they’ll be ok with carrying it and they don’t. Don’t listen to the guy at the counter that’s gonna sell you some service pistol and say, yeah sure chuck norris carries one. It’s a lie. They’re just absolutely fing uncomfortable inside the waist band and outside the waist band is just not something a person in civilized society wants to deal with. Beyond that you’re left with pocket carry which won’t work either with full sized. There is literally no such thing as a dual purpose. If you intend to carry at all then you need a carry gun. If you do go full size, I think the Glocks are outdated and cheap with crappy ergonomics, but that’s just me and I’m heavily biased against them. They’re perfect for fb selfies if you’re holding them sideways with no shirt on though, I guess. P226 is good, but probably wouldn’t be my first pick. Again, it’s old and the fact that the seals use them has more to do with govt set contracts 30 years ago to buy these things for a nickel than any sort of performance optimization.

In the case you go carry, it’s M&P Shield 9 for like 90% of people. You can also look at the Springfield xds but I just like the M&P’s a lot better personally. My little bro who is a gun nut has a kahr PM9 that is pretty sweet (although I’d be tempted to go K9), but those guns are 2x the cost, heavier and have that long single stage trigger pull that’s hard for a lot of people to get used to. So for the average joe, I think the Shield 9 should be the default.

Nah, I’m good. I’m a peaceful solution kind of guy.

My point is that it’s up to you to control the lifestyle creep up. It’s very doable to keep your expenses increase to be much smaller relative to the compensation increase.

FWIW the quality of the hotels (never hostels) I stay in remained the same throughout my career. And I never stayed at shady places.