How to analysts/VP etc abroad view indian working in KPOs

I think rather than focusing on what you are doing, you need to focus on what you could achieve from this place. It would be better idea to consider the following points:

1. You already knew what you were getting into, would you prefer any other over job this? If you have better option where you could be productive then there is not point in continuing with youe current job, if there is not better option then you need to wait for one opportunity or create one. I remember seeing your post where you were disappointed with the fact there was no use of CFA as you were not getting any opportunity to work in research/finance. Few weeks later, you were thanking God that you got this job and pretty happy with it. There is nothing wrong with you, i think, it is human tendency to get bored with repetitive stuff. Getting bad reviews/emails is part of the job, there are very few fortunates ones out there.

2. Comparing to IB analysts, you job is better as they hardly get any time off, of course KPO people are not paid well, but you need to consider PPP into account. Most of the analysts serve their time which is around three years in search for better opportunity either to become an associate or go to bschool. Of course IB is a great training ground.

3. Again, you need to focus on what you are getting out of this, if you continue to think that you are stuck in this loop you probably would not like it, but if you consider that you could be a PM or join as a research analyst then you might start liking it. All you need to do is take one step at time and think how you could get most of this.

And about the mistakes, this industry is like this, not sure if this is applicable in your case but a mistake can blow your model and screw up the deal for which you worked 6-8 months.

Choice is yours.

Vicky!

I feel the same! I work in a Big 4 which does offshoring for the UK. Typical call centre set up but KPO work, they call us the power house for the UK.

I passed the CFA L2 but i dont see any increment in salary or even going up the ladder. Whether it is ACCA or CFA you can just become a ‘Team Lead’ and make around INR 60k a month say at the age of 24/25. But even by becoming a ‘Team Lead’ we still do the shitty stuff get screwed by the clients and latter get a bad appraisal.

I wonder how CFA is gonna help me in anyway possible because even ‘Charted Accountant’ have a better scope in IB in India!

I think in India, CFA is like some certification program which can get you into a good b-school but stand alone it is nothing without a top 10 PGDM.

^ 3/4 of the acronyms in that post were completely incomprehensible to me. The cultural gap looms large yet.

the smartest thing you can do is move to america. if you are actually bright and know what youre doing you will not have a problem getting a job and moving up the ladder.

It won’t even do that. The only use of the CFA in India is probably from the knowledge side of the coin especially if you’re graduating from an undergraduate degree that has no relation to finance.

I don’t understand what the OP is complaining about. The fact that he’s doing shit work? It’s obvous that with the financial sector still being heavily protectionist it isn’t going to be as developed as other areas like IT. There a few good roles and a lot of gunk that is outsourced grunt work. If you want the good roles then you have 2 options :

1. Go back to B school. A top 10-15 one.

2. If that is out of your league get a CA then let the chips fall where they may. A lot of people make the transition.

If you want the money then you’re going to have to take some risks. My colleague is a girl who’se hometown is some village in UP. Her brother is a 8’th grade dropout because their father fell sick and it fell on him to make sure there was food on the plate at home. He’s now 26-27 and owns his own thermoplastic paint business with his own small manufacturing plant. He just bought a RR Ghost a couple of weeks back and still can barely communicate in normal hindi (bhojpuri) let alone english.

I doubt he wasted time asking for people’s sympathy. The planes going full speed ahead buddy and you’re either on it or you’re not.