How to get yourself to study for the GMAT

One of my co-workers just got into Columbia with a GMAT score in the mid 600s. The only other thing she had going for her was a good GPA from undergrad, but why would that even apply after being in the workforce for 5 years.

I just got denied admission to Columbia with a 710.

1. I am not complaining - I am bitching

2. I am 27

3. I am The Shiznit

How many years of work experience do you have lxwarr30?

Thanks Robert - My company does not require the MBA, but if I want to ever climb the executive ranks, an MBA will put me on the fast pace. I have established connections with upper management and hope to join our internal M&A group in the coming year.

You also need to consider race and gender, in order to interpret whether your GMAT score is good or bad. At Columbia, a 720 GMAT would be a very very strong score for a black female or hispanic female. The same 720 GMAT would be considered a very weak score for a white male or Indian male.

Funny you say that Wendy - She is one of those minorities you mentioned.

Business schools love twofers (black women & hispanic women), because with one student they can improve both their racial and gender stats (both of which are closely tracked). COLUMBIA MBA STUDENT PROFILE:  WOMEN: 36%  MINORITY OF US ORIGIN: 34%

I never thought about the “twofers” situation. That really pisses me off. Affirmative action needs to banish. My parents are from the middle east but I was born here. Regardless, I will check the Middle Eastern box.

Will that count as a minority?

YA YA I know I should just study instead of finding loopholes, but that’s what life is about. Have to find a way to exploit any system to your advantage.

I believe that only blacks, hispanics, and native americans get a admissions boost from their race. I would expect folks of middle eastern descent to have to compete with whites and indians on an even footing.

Unless you lived in Gaza and have a great story to tell, you will not get special treatment.

Ah yes. I forgot the short story aspect. I will work on making it a Hercules type story with utter determination, ambition, courage, and will.

I would have had a little less than 5 years experience at matriculation. I’ll update you more during application process. I have a few more places I’m targeting.