"I am one of the most successful men you will ever meet"

what the f*ck is bsd?

A bsd is what you f*ck with (at least if you’re a guy).

(“bsd urban dictionary” is the Google search for you)

you’ll find out when it slaps you in the face

it swings and it’s big

Subsidies are such a small portion of the corn / ethenol prices. Subsidies have remained relatively stable over the past 20 years, while prices did this (inflation adjusted):

The trend is driven by global forces and expected price growth driven by demographics that make subsidies relatively inconsequential. Google the article called “The Geopolitics of Food” I posted awhile back.

Apart from subsidies, the US just has a major competitive advantage in agriculture. No other country apart from Kazakhstan has this much open fertile land, temperate weather, abundant freshwater, and low population density the way the US does.

¡¡¡ jajajaja !!!

How drunk was the Grant Thornton guy? Coke up, maybe? We’ve all had drunken/manic moments and said stupid things.

If you tell me he was dead sober then it would be one thing.

Between this and taking the initiative/being spontaneous or funny, I think these things can carry you a long way. I do have a couple of decent watches (I own an Omega Speedmaster and IWC Portuguese which I bought on the second-hand market), and occasionally I see girls cutting a glance at them, but the subject should always be oneself. However, I get the sense that girls also want to see that the rest of the “package” matches with the token item. For example, if a guy has some nice watch (Rolex especially, where the brand is so omnipresent I’d argue that it’s almost played out and ostentatious), it might not actually do the guy that much good if he sounds more like some random rube and doesn’t actually have the finesse or comportment to go along with a luxury watch. Girls (intelligent ones, anyway) always seem to see beyond the superficial and are more into assessing how a guy carries himself.

As stratman mentioned, girls like to solve mysteries because it gives them some sense of propriety and the excitement of being kept in suspense for a bit. With a girl that you’re interested in, eventually you should become non-elusive (especially if you’re a BSD), but there’s no harm in letting the intrigue run for a while.

Maybe its different here in Alberta, but either (a) my padre hides his money really, really good, or (b) there’s a flipside to that story. He’s doing alright, but he’s no millionaire. Lots of income + lots of expense ($120k+ in herbicides alone?) doesn’t net to much.

Alberta and the American midwest aren’t comparable. Commercial farmers in Europe, Africa, and Asia don’t make very much either. The production throughout he corn belt in the US is rediculous… 60% of the world’s grain supply from roughly 10 states.

So, you’re saying a major in agriculture is a good idea? Too bad none of my friends grew corn in college…

While we’re singling anecdotes out (and this guy’s not even the world’s richest farmer):

J.R. Simplot, the kid who grew up on a dusty Declo, Idaho, farm, is now a driven 89-year-old and one of the 100 richest people in the world.

The Simplot Co. has 12,000 employees worldwide and annual revenue of $2.8 billion. Yes, it is famous for its potatoes. And yes, it supplies more than half of McDonald’s French fries.

But the company is also among the nation’s top 10 cattle producers.

http://dailycapitalist.com/2012/05/14/jim-rogers-buy-a-tractor/

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2080767,00.html

Ok, fun cherry picking (pun intended), but let’s keep it a little real though. I grew up in a rural area and the farmers I knew were not hauling it in, unless they sold their land to developers at the peak of the RE bubble. Granted, this was dairy country, not corn.

• In 2004, the most recent year available, the USDA states that the average farm household earned ~$81k compared to ~$60k for the average US household. Farm income is more variable. USDA says that 85-95% of farm household income has come from “off-farm” sources.

• Only 8% of farming operations had annual sales exceeding $250k. So, millionaire farmers should be compared to the upper echelon of financial sector workers.

http://www.usda.gov/documents/FARM_FAMILY_INCOME.pdf

Pub dude obviously does not think the fair lass will meet many gents from AF.

farmers do not make more money overtime …owning farmland nowadays is different but to get your income from selling farm goods is not the road to riches…i believe that is quite obvious…farm work also sucks…

This is completely missing everything I said. From the very beginning I said FARMERS IN THE MIDWEST. There are tons of farmers back east here. I grew up on one in PA. Those people make nothing. They are also much smaller farms and so would form 90% of the farming operations. Many of them are dairy and hay farms as well. You also have all of the Cali vinyards and organic farms to exclude, etc. HOWEVER, AS I STATED, farms in the midwest which are larger and more commercial make a crap ton more than any Goldman banker for 8 months work. It’s not cherry picking, it’s a statment of fact. If you’re going to say all farmers, then we need to include all retail branch bank tellers and ATM maintenance employees in the comparison as well. Pretty quickly you’ll find that IB and AM is rougly 8% of bankers, just the same as midwestern grain farmers are 8% of the farming population.

the meek shall inherit the earth…but before that they will be screwed.

Are we just talking about the owners of farms? Because yes, then clearly the owner of a 500 acre farm would be pretty rich. However, this guy also employs a lot of people who are not millionaires.