Is it wrong to chase money during your career?

Not sure how I can follow bchad and DoW’s awesome posts, but I’ll try. I’m in the fortunate position of having a great job that pays me well and that I actually enjoy more often than not. Combine that no student debt and a generally frugal life, the money just stacks up in my bank and investment accounts. I mean frugal in not wanting to spend needlessly, and still willing to spend on what I want to do. Not like a guy I work with who just refuses to spend money. I’ve realized that the simple accumulation of money doesn’t make me happy. The comfort of having well over a year of living expenses in my checking and investment accounts is awesome. The ability to drop a few hundred bucks on a last minute trip and do something random I want to do is awesome. So as bchad already said, money is a means to an end.

If your goal is to make people jealous, you will live an unhappy and insecure life.

This is 100% true. And its borderline sociopathic to seek pleasure from the negative emotions of others. To wake up in the morning wanting to make other jealous is pretty bleak.

People do this all the time; they just dont admit it. Why does someone go buy a brand new $1,000 suit? Not because it feels so comfortable, but because they want to feel superior than others and be put on a pedastal and seen as great and grand. It’s all an ego thing. If they were in a world buy themselves, I can guarantee they wouldnt buy the suit.

This is true. Also if you make a lot of money for the purpose of flaunting it, you will attract the wrong kind of people and end up unhappy that way as well.

I dont see jealously as a negative, I see it as a compliment. Like a role model kind of thing. People look up to people that they are jealous of and wish they could be. Im jealous of all my role models and wish I could be like them.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqpFPcx1Dus]

Guys that buy a suit to fulfill their ego live very shallow lives. Generally people that need possessions to feel worthy or classy generally aren’t. I find these types tend to blow up spectacularly at some point in their career. Look at Buffett. Does he need a fancy suit or Benz to feel respected? Gates? Jobs? Nah. They honestly didn’t a shit what others think. You’ll find the most successful and personally secure people don’t want people respecting them for their car. There isn’t anything wrong with having nice things, but solely to have others look up to you? That’d be sad. Anyone looking up to you because you have a nice car is a pretty pathetic follower. I guess I’d be almost offended if someone looked up to me because I have nice stuff. I’d want people I know to look up to me for my intelligence and accomplishments in business and life.

i agree. i drive an 07 vehicle and have no plans of getting a new one anytime soon

How do you expect people to be jealous of you when you’re rolling in a 7/8 year old vehicle?

Jealous of me having money, not jealous me spending it on dumb stuff like a car. Like how most of us are jealous of Warren Buffet even though he doesnt waste his money

How would they know you have money?

i would casually mention in conversation and it would hopefully be assumed with a lofty job

You ever heard of “money talks, wealth whispers”? If you start talking money, don’t be suprised when people start asking you for some. Then what are you going to say? And what are they going to say about you?

Notorious B.I.G. - 10 Crack Commandments and learn.

Want to get your $250K paycheck? Show someone that you can make them meaningfully more than $250K. Easier said than done, but far more satisfying and actionable than asking existential questions about whether or not you should be chasing money.

yo vandelay are you 12 or something you aks some wierd questions/ or is this some theraputic shit your psychiatrist telling u to do

Certainly. Was just asking the question because I had received so much criticism about it. Thought maybe I was missing something.

Nope. Just the kind of guy that thinks about alot of stuff i guess

fair

Warren Buffet once asked the question:

“If the world couldn’t see your results, would you rather be thought of as the world’s greatest investor but in reality have the world’s worst record? Or be thought of as the world’s worst investor when you were actually the best?”

If you chose the latter, you are inner scorecard driven. If you are secure and comfortable in your own skin, you wouldn’t give a $hit about making others jealous nor care what they think about you.