Keystone XL

^ Assign “blame” appropriately. They aren’t getting help from democrats in the US. Republicans love are neighbors to the north.

Yay long BRK.B

true dat. Obamas decision was wrong and politically motivated like many/most of them. The reasoning that it will control fossil fuel emissions is just wrong. The oil sand will be developed with out without KXL. The only difference is now it means more crude by rail to benefit his buddy, another limousine liberal Buffett, and will net net cause more emissions and likely more pollution.

If he knew anything, he’d realize that approving this and supplying enough crude to allow the U.S. Gulf coast refineries to feed to their hearts content on WCS would be good for the blue collar workers that work said plants, the companies that operate them, would make an even better friend out of Canada, and not to mention would benefit the current account deficit since much of the refined product would be exported at a high premium to what was paid for the WCS. Effing political bozo.

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000021757&year=2015

hmmmmmmm

That shows that BRK’s lobbying is declining. The big jump in 09 is bc BNSF was acquired then.

Yeah but I think it really slows it down, and the eventual size of the production in the future. KXL didn’t make a huge difference 18 months ago regarding oil sands projects being developed or not, but it does now. Selling to China instead of the US is still difficult b/c the Northern Gateway Pipeline going to the Pacific coast faces big challenges, too. There’s a lot of landlocked oil in Alberta, and the very cheap price of WCS is going to keep a lot of oil sands projects from being developed, absent materially higher oil prices. $10+ off your oil b/c a lack of takeaway capacity makes a big difference.

I don’t think this is a Berkshire lobbying thing. Like it or not, I think its largely a climate change/environmentalism issue. Liberals google search “canadian oil sands”, they get disgusted and rally around it. A lot of projects aren’t the surface mining the way the media makes them out to be, but they still use lots of natural gas. It’s very energy intensive just to produce oil before even consuming it. Environmentalists hate it. I personally am supportive of oil sands projects but North America has been shifting to the left and oil sands projects face a lot of challenges as a result. Losing KXL makes a big difference.

Why lobby at all? Warren just needs to have his secretary call President Obama and tell the president Mr. Buffett wishes to speak with him.

Presumably, he already does that. Lobbying is for Congress.

Does anybody know what reason he gave for rejecting it this time?

The first time, he rejected it because those bad Republicans gave him an artificially harsh deadline, and he didn’t have enough time to fully understand it before making a decision. (Even though the application had been filed two years earlier.) This is the same president that held Congress hostage on Christmas morning until they passed Obamacare, because that was a national emergency. And they had to pass it to see what was in it.

Because the economic benefits were minimal, and because he wanted to make a statement on climate change. I think this was pretty clear to anybody following the news.

duh, the point is their lobbyist spend is entirely due to BNSF aquisition and protecting that economic moat.

Glad to see TransCanada isn’t going down without a fight and has sued the Obama administration for overstepping its Constitutional boundaries and invoking NAFTA. Even as a US taxpayer, I hope TransCanada takes Obama and his clown car of advisors to the cleaners. Even though I’d bet he’ll be out of office by the time the case is decided.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/01/08/transcanada-is-suing-the-u-s-over-obamas-rejection-of-the-keystone-xl-pipeline-the-u-s-might-lose/

alo

Donald J. Trump at Oval Office, the West Wing of the White House. Signing orders to move forward with the construction of the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines in the Oval Office.

Kevin O’Leary (aka Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank) announced that he’ll run for Canadian PM. One part of his platform will be negotiating with the Trump administration to Keystone XL approved. I guess that’s now moot.

Again, five years later. On his first day of the job.
And the party politics continue, regardless of what is good for America.