Landed an equity research interview w/ a BO job - Advise Needed

I have nothing to offer, you’re well ahead of me but I’m happy for you (see, Itera. SEE! You don’t have to be previous CEO at BAML). I’m sure your communication skills are not wanting for you to have come this far. Haters gon’ hate bro, you go get 'em.

I’ve never worked on the sell side so I can’t offer any advice on the interviews but if I was in your shoes I would take confidence from the fact that you networked into an informal interview, received good feedback and now have a shot. Well done

Congrats on the interview, I would take Bromion’s comment to heart. I’d prepare by getting your behavioural answers and stories together, work on technical prep (valuation) and brain teasers, and be up to date on the economy and markets.

A readily available source of practice questions would be Vault Guide. The IB specific guide has some relevant questions for ER as well.

Getting this far is a very good sign, be confident in that fact

of course it happens. it’s 1-3 in every 100 people, but it happens. heck 3 people won the powerball last night

Exhibit A

Meister, gingo_bob, and mk17 thank you for the kind words as well as your support. It’s very much appreciated. Meister, haters will hate, you just gotta keep at it!

Anyway, I have finished my final interviews (I think.) I have had two more formal interviews, and now I have to take a 4 hour excel and writing test. I have searched around online and it seems that this type of assessment will involve taking a press release, using it to update a model, and writing a short research note.

Has anyone ever done this type of assessment at a BB or a boutique shop? If so, could you share your experience or and any advice you may have to prepare?

I have been practicing my modeling skills this week by learning how to link the 3 f/s and use their estimations in a DCF model and am about to start working on my writing. I believe I should be able to master the modeling on my own; it is the writing section that causes me some concern as I have never done an assessment of this nature. If anyone has any advise on how to prepare or any links to past forums that discuss they could share I would appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.

Also, to learn anything on excel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelIsFun

^This guy is the man.

At least you spelled “advice” correctly this time. What bromion said. I’ve dinged otherwise perfectly capable candidates before for producing sloppily-composed writing samples. Just bc you don’t have spell check in front of you doesn’t give you the excuse to make spelling and grammar mistakes.

It’s not rocket science…just google a little bit.

+1 on knowing the difference between “advice” and “advise” (and the like). There is nothing worse than reading through a report with numerous grammar mistakes.

Again, this is a forum and not the office. Just as I’m sure you do, I treat my professional correspondence with a higher level of scrutiny than what I post online. There is a distinct difference in what is acceptable between this site and work. It seems you acknowledge this distinction, unless your work email also has a link in the signature to tiger woods mistress. Props if you do.

Outside of grammar and spelling if anyone has anything practical to add I’d appreciate it

racheluchitelpics6180829--350x380.jpg

This attitude will surely get you the boot. Sorry b.

Reading through this thread, I find this comment (and similar ones) to be silly. Kid’s on an anonymous online forum - he’s not corresponding via chat/e-mail with a department head or hiring manager.

Thanks cgouttuso8190. I’m just trying to find a little bit of advice from anyone who has been through this type of interview.

I just went through ER interviews recently at an off Wall Street firm (I just can’t come to grips with moving to NYC yet). The ER group seems to be a respected midcap group and is the most profitable for the investment bank. Anyway, I prepared how I prepared for my ER interviews during senior year of college – turned out it was literally 7 hours of fit and 1 hour of technical (and then a second round of 4 hours of fit). My previous experience was 7 hours technical and 1 hour fit. Don’t know what kind of firm or where in the World your interview is, but it seems it varies dramatically.

Hey rawraw. Thanks for the input. How did your interview turn out?

I have been through roughly 10 hours of fit and am about to do 4 hours of technical. This is going to be the first really technical part of the interview so I’m keen to understand what these research exams are like I keep hearing of. The interview process defiantly seems to vary dramatically!

This is for one of the BB banks in NYC.

I don’t remember if I’ve mentioned it elsewhere in this thread, but there are some equity research primers put out by various sources including business schools. They cover topics and things normally tested on. I think I still have a few if you want them. The interview turned out well, I recieved an offer.

Hey Rawraw,

That would be great! I will send you a PM with my email address. It looks like I have passed the test. I have been called in for a “final interview” and will have to pitch them on myself one more time before they make up their minds.

Does anyone have any experience on what a “final round” equity research associate interview is like, particularly one at a BB? It is with the manager of the division and I’m guessing this will be like my first interview and most likely be a “fit” interview.

If anyone has any experience or advice they could share it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi rawraw, can you PM me that primer file as well? I am going through an interview now and would really appreciate the help.

Generally, the last rounds are senior people and at this level, it’s about fit. Be very personable, be someone people want to be around, show real intellectual curiosity and excitement at the job, show you have done your homework and that’s where you want to be.

Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated. I think at this point, there is not much else I can do to prepare. It sounds like I just need to go in there, be myself, and emphasize that this is what I really want to do!