Larry Summers: Donald Trump is a serious threat to American democracy

you’re confusing labels for substance.

but how could this be ensured? assuming chaos will beget a better situation is irrational. chaos will most likely lead to more chaos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

the best thing that can happen is after trump gets elected he would get impeached and then the VP will take over. i think the VP for this election is the most important person running for office

you nailed it.

Thrump doesn’t care average people. He never did…

No shit genius.

You can insert the name of any national-level politician into that statement and it will still be true, with the possible exception of Bernie.

That’s true. But the whole proposition of i’m going to bring jobs back, I’m going help these poor people is fake. The time he will step into office and will realize that running an office is a whole different thing than running a business. He will find excuses as he always does. No wall, no China, no freaking protectionism. He might try to raise his voice in front of Chinese president to show his art of the deal. But it won’t work! That’s just me.

^ So you’re saying he’ll be another President Obama.

The New York Times’ first article about Hitler’s rise is absolutely stunning

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/11/8016017/ny-times-hitler

Sure, but what does it have to do with a Trump thread? There is no comparison to be made.

Here’s the story of Shirley Temple… https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Temple

^ Trump doesn’t drink, so I can see the relevance of Shirley Temple

I’m impressed. Two stickers for you.

Higgs, I realize I stretched the interpretation of your post beyond what most would consider reasonableness. I was mostly reacting to someone else stretching your post to mean a complete demoslishment of my points.

I get what you were saying, though I’m not quite sure what you mean by “Executive Actions.” The job of the President is to carry out policy. How is the President supposed to do that without doing things that would be considered “Executive Actions”

If the complaint is that Presidents aren’t supposed to do anything at all, then why complain about how little Obama has accomplished? Or lack of leadership, or anything like that.

Anyway. Just a note to say that I distorted what you said, but only because I thought “Distort Higgs’ post; well, two can play at that game.”

No, he will quit.

Gotcha. I’ve been capitalizing Executive Actions because they actually are a distinct “thing” beyond being actions by the executive. Carrying out existing policy would not be an Executive Action, eventhough it’s an executive action. Obviously everything the president does is an executive action, but Executive Actions are official releases by the administration that go beyond the simple day-to-day managing of the government. They are desired policy changes or laws that the administration officially releases. I know that’s a terrible description, but hopefully you get it.

I have no problem with President Obama’s masterful use of Executive Actions, since they really are nothing but political grandstanding, and quite honestly I’ve not paid much attention to his use of Executive Orders other than his use of them to make changes to Obamacare to fix things that republicans told him from the beginning needed to be fixed. The fact that republicans then complained about it is more political grandstanding.

The claims that President Obama has ruled by fiat are ridiculous and anyone who truly believes that has no sense of history or how government really works. That is not to say that I think he has been a good president. The fact that most democrats seem only willing to measure him against GWB suggests to me that they don’t think he’s been all that good either.