Math conundrum

Technically, 0/0 is known is an indeterminate form; it’s undefined. Other indeterminate forms are:

• ∞/∞
  • 0×∞
  • ∞ – ∞
  • 0^0
  • 0^∞
  • 1^∞

As bchad mentions, if these arise as limits of functions of a single variable (and those functions are differentiable), you can sometimes use l’Hôpital’s Rule to calculate the limit. However, if you’re merely computing a ratio of two static numbers, it’s not a limit, and it’s simply undefined.

nerd fight!

I can’t decide if you generated some deep insight by extending the analysis into the complex plane, or just ended up scattering a few random symbols into your post to make your elusive thought process even less comprehensible?

This thread is awesome ha ha. Wish I would’ve had a better math education growing up

looks straightforward limit proof to me,

indeed it is, it also appears that the confirmation of the Riemann hypothesis is a direct simple corollary from the lemma in step 2 of your reasoning

Word. I feel like we all belong on an episode of The Big Bang Theory.

Not sure if i should be impressed because you know Riemann hypothesis?

As impressive as that is indeed, I wouldn’t want to steal your thunder with the limit proof you sketched above. Beautiful work.

Why thank you, it is always nice to hear a word of encouragement. Let me know how your middle school algebra class did this fall. I heard there are a lot of bright students and you are an outstanding teacher

Ha ha I loved this exchange…it brought all the quants out to play! I too am of a more “fundamental” persuasion and would probably simply leap to the conclusion that the subject ratio is simply not useful for evaluating this particular financial circumstance. No doubt a different analytical angle would prove more useful!

But then again I would miss out on this scintilating Math exploration.

Just FYI–I asked Siri, “What is zero divided by zero?”

She gave me a real smartass answer.

A few years ago I took it upon myself to learn calculus on my own. Was probably one of the best things I’ve ever studied. I def want to take some higher level maths and physics courses once I get through year-one of my current career pivoting.