MDs standing around next to me talking about $40k school for their kids

I caught your sarcasm and completely disagree with it. Many people can create their own destiny, no matter the circumstances into which they are born. For instance, I never asked for anything growing up. At one day old, my mom took her tittie out to feed me, but I didn’t latch on. I threw up a hand, and said “no need dear” and marched down to the store to buy a quart of the cow stuff on my own dime. Then I built my own crib from a dogwood tree I chopped down and started composting my own shit. That was day one.

More people should be like me.

I know a guy who went to homeschool who got into Haahvad and dominated there too. I think private schools are a waste of money, unless you’re in a really crappy district, and presumably most of you don’t live in East St Louis. But I guess these days, even Kindergarteners aren’t spared the hacksaw.

You actually came out of your mom in the Terminator pose.

I think I saw him in the national spelling bee.

Father?

No, I don’t think so.

it gets harder and harder the later you decide to put your kid in private school (if that’s the goal).

Hacksaw. I didn’t need Harvard by my name. I put my name on their new squash facility. I like to give back to the less fortunate.

I am just going for NEST-m

Why not apply to all 4 citywide publics, to get a better chance of getting in?

Unfortunately, an expensive private school—especially kindergarten and elementary from what I’ve experienced—is the next flawless 3-carat engagement ring for moms in many cases.

Among some of them, it’s the tacit way to determine who belongs and who doesn’t. For instance, I’ve seen at least twice when one of my wife’s friends asked her where our kids go (we are relatively new in our city), and the friend’s ensuing face of approval or perhaps mild jealousy when she learned where they go. Besides that, many moms of LeShité School develop a strong community that looks a lot like a club. While I’d like to think most of them are there for the quality of education their children receive, I’m sure they can’t deny the benefits of those social groups for themselves.

Are private school fees tax deductible down there?

Respect. Love that post.

Not from federal tax, but certain states have different rules for state income tax. Just as an example, unless the rules have changed in the last couple years, Louisiana allowed you to deduct up to $3k or 5k or something like that per year per kid.

^Agreed with Kanuck. Private school is not deductible if it’s K-12. Above that, it’s only deductible as college tuition. Private vs. public has nothing to do with it.

And I live in TX where there is no state income tax, so I can’t speak for the deductability in other states.

So true!

Think about how many of us are killing ourselves to get into top universities and business schools? or killing ourselves to get CFA charter because we think it is prestigeous (or at least for some of us who aren’t even working in finance)…

It’s not so hard to believe parents, who can afford it, would put their kids in better schools and to build better network. a lot of good private schools do kindergarten to highschool, so imagine that connection with other classmates.

I don’t think those parents are looking to network with other parents. They just want status, similar to living in a big house or driving an expensive car.

^ This. They want to gloat to others how smart their kids are.

I think that’s a huge part of it. they want their kids to be a step better than others. They want their kids to be special, elite, to ahve a head start of everyone else…

Kids don’t become smarter just by going to better school. Better school can unlock potential but intelligence can be attributed 80% to genetics