** New Year's Resolutions **

^Scary man

brianr is an angry person

This is the first year I’m actually making a few real resolutions. So I’m looking forward to seeing how they turn out. Most of them are pretty similar to what other people are posting: working out, eating better, seeing my doctor, and also doing some more recreational reading/writing. This is actually a very insightful post from a typically funny site that may help some people set up their resolutions: http://www.11points.com/Personal/11_Findings_From_My_Resolution_To_Work_Out_Every_Single_Day_In_2011

Haha, how? Because I recognize that waiting until New Years to address issues is setting yourself up for failure? Okay, then label me an “angry person”. I’m just being truthful, if you don’t agree with it then I’ll see you in the gym year round in 2012. :wink:

No, it’s not that you realize that there is a kind of artificiality in waiting for New Years to make resolutions. It’s feeling the need to tell people who do that that they are by definition losers in comparison to your awesomeness at making resolutions in continuous times. Yeah, your system may be better, particularly if you are as rigorous about it as you make yourself out to be. But what makes it an angry comment is the apparent need to feed off of the belittlement of (a large class of) others. And one ought to add that plenty of people set resolutions that they make. And plenty of people fail resolutions that they make during the year.

I guess I hadn’t intended to my post to be “angry” and my first post was pretty clear about that when I stated: “Good luck to those that wish to make them but you should be working to improve your life everyday; not just once a year when it’s easy to acknowledge your problems.” All I’m saying is that if you want to change you need to want change every single day, not just once a year when people find it easier to reflect. Those that believe in making resolutions, good for you, I hope you’re successful. I also hope that you realize the benefit of reflecting and choose to make it a regular part of your life. That’s all I’ll say.

Social skills for your new years resolution?

I signed a contract for my new home. Saving for the down payment and stay focused are on the top of my list. Edit: No shopping for 6 months :frowning:

Congratulations on your new house. Hopefully, no one will park in your driveway on Saturday night.

lol…it wont be an issue as i’m going with a porte cochere plan…enough parking for my friends too.

Bump.

I don’t think a person needs a new year to make an improvement in his/her life, but I guess this is as good a time as any to make a change.

My NYR for 2014:

1. Eat less carbs. As stated in the “cutting carbs” thread, I’m not trying to go carb-free, but I need to cut out all the sugary crap (including soda) and breads.

2. Go to the gym more regularly. My boss lets me go at lunch, and I take advantage of it, but I come up with stupid, convenient excuses not to go.

3. Pay down more debt. With a home-improvement loan at 9.9% (pipe busted in our bathroom) and student loans at 6.8%, I don’t feel bad about not having a huge bank account. But I’d like to have our non-mortgage, non-student loan cut by 25% by the end of the year.

^ Can you finance those into a HELOC? My kind of resolutions: turn over my portfolio less, spend more time playing hockey, read a bit more, post here less.

I want to get on the podium at just 1 of the 12 GP style races at the karting track. Ran 60 laps yesterday, need to hit the racing books.

6k mmr in dota2

1 & 2. I have been doing #3 for my 8.5% HELOC (yes, 8.5%) anyway to the point that now the interest is negligible even at that rate (and tax-deductible, of course.) I (and by I I mean my wife) uses credit cards like a drunken sailor with credit cards, but we never carry a balance. I like to be alive and not sing soprano, so I don’t question her much.

Quant goal: lose 25 pounds this year. Maybe announcing it to anonymous Internet strangers will motivate me so I can bump the thread next year and brag.

Be confident, this always works.

I resolve to do a better job of hiding the ruler in my bathroom.

-get back in shape (got a lot of workout equipment for xmas to make it happen)

-have s3x at least 3x per week

-double my income again

Make habits and not resolutions - a good old colleague from Scotland whom I respect a lot passed me this!

So I am trying to make habits out of my resolutions right now…

1. Quit smoking and making a habit of NOT smoking now a days. I havent touched one for past 4 months I guess.

2. Want to do a sub 2 half marathon, I am 35 minutes off the target right now though…

3. Invest systematically to retire by 50.

4. Work a bit for society, not just donate money…