Passed on the Fourth Consecutive Attempt!

Hey CFAbeatmeup,

How have you been buddy? For sure, I do remember you. My great “partner-in-thought”. I still remember your verbal jabs and relentless contributions on that thread… Lol.

Per Level 3, what you summarized above sounds interesting to me and I just can’t wait to throw my hat in the ring. **winks**. Anyways, goodluck on your result in 2 weeks, and hopefully we get to pop some champagne right here on the Forum floor…Smiles.

Cheers buddy.

Hey Ramos,

It’s been a while. Trust you are doing good.

Your opinion isn’t wrong, but one size does not fit all. IMO, I feel your approach works best for those who have ample time to read through both different materials. Moreso, I think the CFAI text has a lot of nuances which study texts sometimes downplay or totally leave out. I had an experience of this kind with Elan Guide in 2015.

That said, I concluded #2 because when I initially started studying from the CFAI text, I didn’t create a personal note from its voluminous content. But my understanding increased astronomically when I created a personal note on my third attempt, and this I leveraged upon on my fourth attempt.

i admire your tenacity, brainy.

Congrats .

But giving up derivatives is not a good strategic choice , though it will not get in the way that much in level 2 if you nailed the rest , it will haunt you throughout level 3.( can’t avoid it , derivatives is almost integrated all over level 3 text ) .

Puttting quant or econs would be a much better choice if you want to reduce the study load . But then that depends on each individual 's background . Sadly , you can’t avoid derivatives .

Well done …

I passed on my 3rd attempt …

2014 - used Schweser materials only - I had large knowledge gaps as I didnt get to grips with the detail, weak across the board.

= Band 3

2015 - Used a mix of Schweser materials and the CFA for Accounting and Equity - I ignored my weak spots but managed to get a handle on Accounting, Equity and Derivatives

= Band 7

2016 - really really didnt want to sit the exam this year, mentally felt burnt out - used only the CFA material this year - started by working on my weak areas that had hurt me on the previous sittings: Portfolio management, Corporate Finance, Fixed Income, Ethics and Alternatives - I knew after getting a handle on the Accounting and Equity sections in 2015, alot of the heavy lifting was done. It meant that I had to go away and learn the stuff I had been avoiding. Having failed 2 previous times, mentally I had a total block that I could pass this sucker. I got the results in yesterday and I crushed it >70+ in everything except Quant which was in the lower range.

= pass.

Sitting in the exam hall each year I would see friends and associates move up into the level 3 part of the hall, and I wondered if I would ever be able to sit amongst them, good things can happen, just dig deep and dust yourself off … failure is all part of being successful, as we learn from our mistakes.

Well done Brainy! *Fist pump*

Dear Brainy,

You deserve the success, inspiring story

Wow, this is some next level perseverance. Congratulations Brainy, more than deserved. I hope Level III treats you much more kindly, best of luck on the last step :slight_smile:

Ha! Good luck. Knock it out bro! Congrats and thanks.

Brainy, there is no doubt it was a bad approach, it’s not a question - it took four years! That’s not an opinion its a reality.

Using revisionist history to explain it away as “life lessons, and ‘no best approach’ etc” means you most likely haven’t learned the lesson - will you sit another four years for Level 3? Or one? I am rooting for you, and rooting for one.

Same here, I passed on my 4th attempt. I have to agreed with you that creating personal summary is very important to turn your 2000 pages study materials into 20 “thin” pages. And for most sections the contents and exam format are similar every year eg. FRA,Equity,Derivatives, Econ, CF.

For me I didn’t read the CFAI textbook( because i have the finance background and the Level 2 material are not new to me, it is very discouraging me to read something written like a textbook than a review materials) and I think practicing questions is important for retaker.

I started CFA LV2 during my MBA studies.

1st Attempt : Band 5

• Use Schweser notes only and only did the mock the day before exam. Didnt take days off. (That year was busy with job interviews in May and couldn’t take days off)

2st Attempt : Band 10

• Use Schweser notes and video. Found the video helped a lot to understand the material and keep me focus on study( reading notes will fall in sleep somtimes ). take the last week off and practiced 3 sets of mock (open book and didnt restrict time on questions). On the exam day, i wasted too much time on equity and corp finance and left too little time on the qualitative questions like derivatives and fixed income… got too nervous at the end and my mind refused to do calculation questions even tho i know i can do it. I was so disappointed on the result day as i am so close and i did prepare well.

3rd Attempt : Band 9

• Use video materials and personal notes, decided not to do it and changed my mind in the last min. Since i have good study notes from previous year and don’t want to waste too much on studying it. Didn’t have time to practice questions as my boss didnt allow me to take a week off. FRA was a bit tricky this year. My last friend who i knew working on lv2 moved to lv3.

4th Attempt : Pass. (with only ethics <50%, all >70%)

• Use video materials and notes. Did a lot of practice questions. Up till now, LV2 materials are deep in my memories. I spent 1 month to quickly went over study video and my personal notes plus read the new sections. Started practicing CFA textbook questions and past mocks for 2 months. (2 hours per day).

On the exam day, changed my strategy to start on quantitative questions first (Derivatives, FI, Econ) and finished with good confidence.

I am not a good example but my point is for retakers, spending time to practice questions is important to pass the exam.

Brainy, I share the same experience with CFA level 2. You have my deepest sympathy and understanding. I really do understand what pain you went through!

2013: Band 3 I felt like most stupid.

2014: Band 7 I felt stupid.

2015: Band 7 I felt more stupid than the last year, but not as quite stupid as 2013.

2016: PASS. I read it after the meeting, wanted really to cry out of luck. I felt like my honor was restored… literally, my honor is now restored.

Let us prepare for the last beast: Level III… Prepare for it like you never did before:-)

Congrats Brainy. Agree on the mocks. Passed level 1 without taking a full mock, mainly CFAI EOC questions and reviewing Schwesser notes repeatedly. However, I’m going to make it a priority to take a few mocks for Level 2.

Congratulations! Sounds like you have perseverance that I would never have.

Cant help but agree with another poster here - not doing mocks/qbank etc is a seriously flawed strategy. Anyone reading this thread needs to know that the day before the exam you should have thousands of questions under your belt so you are a point harvesting machine.

By my calculations I have probably completed over 15,000 questions over LI and L2 (first time passer on both).

…?

Congratulation. Finally, hard work pays off.

congratz smiley

Big congrats guys. I passed on my fifth attempt (using half a decade …OMG!!!).

2012- Band 1

2013- Band 1

2014- Band 2

2015- Band 8

2016- Finally a Pass…

I’m very curious to hear this story, band 1 twice and then band 2 and you stuck with it. Did you study at all for the first three?

On your first statement, you are jumping to a potentially erroneous conclusion. How do you know if you didn’t take a few hours off of another topic and dedicated it towards derivatives that you would not have scored higher in total?

Implying that your method “works best for you” because you passed, after four tries no less, seems to be missing the forest for the trees.

Of course you are correct that there is not a singular “best approach” to taking the CFA. However, there is a best approach to memorization, at least with regards to large amounts of information, and it’s through repeated recall (self-testing). It has nothing to do with your uniqueness or circumstances: self-testing is simply a much more effective way to retain information than encoding (reading, note-taking, etc.). Traditional studying might be important for you to conceptually understand material, but it is significantly less effective in actually being able to recall that information, which is ultimately the most important thing in passing the exam.

Your perseverance is impressive and congratulations on passing, but it looks like you’re doubling down on what has already proven to be an ineffective method.

Congratulations, Brainy!