Pride

CvM, you better than most here probably realize what it is like for your identity to be in question. To me it is like the election of Obama. Lots of African Americans were so happy and lots of Caucasians were like what is the big deal? It’s only human to want to celebrate after society has ‘aknowledged’ you and that you should be granted rights the others have taken for granted.

African American’s have done their own “parades” in the past to make an emphasized identity. It has been large hair, African-centric names, and various other cultural phenenoms. It’s just human nature to do this when you are embracing an identity

But then what is the point of the Pride parade? Either the point is to be “wacky” (for wacky’s sake) and thereby not be representative of normal homosexual behavior, or it is to promote tolerance and understanding of the homosexual subculture. If it is to promote tolerance and understanding, then why not have them just dress up in their normal work clothes? I don’t see why they’re allowed to have it both ways.

^ Yeah, only the bi’s get to have it both ways.

The whole point of this discussion is that overt sexualism in Gar Pride is controversial. Some people are ok with it, but others are not. My definition of societal acceptance is non-distinction between different groups of people. Clearly, this is difficult to achieve if certain groups embrace controversial behavior. Imagine if Coca Cola’s slogan was “Coca Cola: We support abortion”. Some people will think this is great, but about 50% of people will not buy Coca Cola. Being neutral is good in the long run.

Now, Gay Pride might be useful in the short term, when being gay is still not accepted by many people. However, eventually, we need to taper down this stuff. In the long run, we want gay people to be neutral and ordinary members of society, not people who are associated with various perversions.

Sexual theme is not necessary for us to remember that gays were/are persecuted. Jewish people don’t need to wear black leather thongs for me to understand the Holocaust, for instance.

^ What dis negro said. Bravo!

…because gay people don’t dress up for Halloween.

No, twice a year: once on the gay pride parade and once on halloween. Straight people are just pissed because they only get one day.

At least I get St. Patty’s and eight crazy nights of light. Thank goodness I’m not a WASP.

Ok, now to be serious. The latex and S&M paraphenalia is self-defeating because it identifies being gay with sexual perversion and fetishes. There are plenty of gay people who feel this way. Show of common affection are appropriate. Just like you act any other day. It doesn’t need to be vulgar, and it damages the very cause for which the people in the parade are marching.

^ A Jewish Mick?

BChad, it’s not what the homos are doing but that they are doing it in the name of gay pride. Although wearing thongs and harrassing straight firefighters (as they did in San Diego) is bad enough by itself. FWIW, so is Mardi Gras and Carnivale and any aggressive public flaunting of sexuality - but that’s my subjective opinion.

Same as terrorists killing in the name of Islam. Murder by itself is bad enough. Adding religion to it just makes the religion look bad.

^Word, unless you worship the Roman God Bacchus

You wouldn’t believe my name. It’s along the lines of Liam Finkelstein.

^Then why do you identify with St. Patty’s day, and not Juneteenth or Cinco de Mayo or something?

I am with bchad on this. Just consider parades/balls/parties like the Life Ball in Vienna, the Street Parade in Zurich or the former Love Parade in Berlin. Some of these events started out as a gay “pushback” but are now mostly attended by straight folks. The Life Ball is still an AIDS charity event with lots of skin and the weirdest “costumes” (google it) but most of the people who attend are hetero.

Bottom line: people like to go nuts once in a while, not just gay people

Eskimo you mean you’re my Eskimo pal or were Eskimo brothers? You spend much time in the Midwest?

Anybody who ever wanted an Eskimo pal got one now.

Midwest? Of the US? No actually I only been to the east coast. Why do you ask?

If you don’t know what an “Eskimo brother” is, then google it. That will answer your questions.

I don’t think it’s appropriate for girls to dress like sluts on Halloween too, BUT at least they are not being supported by the government and blocked off streets to parade around in next-to-nothing get-ups. (Though i am sure many men wouldn’t oppose to it ^_^)

I guess I share the same point with CFAVSMBA, it’s not about accepting gays and lesbians, it’s about not accepting those vulgar behaviours, especially gay pride is advertised as a “family friendly” festival in many cities… i can’t seem to grasp why parents would bring their kids to a parade with naked men dancing sexually to teach kids to accept different sexual orientation.

Having said that, i have gay friends, i love my gay friends, i just don’t “get” the gay parade that’s all.

Thats because you’re intolerant.

Fags just want to have fun bro.

That sounds like a pretty gay thing to do.

Thats not true, assimilation does not equate equality. True equality is when under law it doesn’t matter who you are or how you act you are treated the same.

I think BCHAD has it right that the extravagance is a push back to being ignored and looked down upon. I wouldn’t compare it to Halloween, but I would assume more than half the people in costumes don’t dress like that on Monday mornings. It’s important to note that for every half naked gay guy on a float dancing to Lady Gaga there are a dozen more marching in the parade in a t-shirt and another dozen watching in plain clothes on the sidewalk.