Rate your 2014

Hmm. 2014 was probably a 3 or 4 in terms of my life history. However, it’s 9.9 in terms of not being a blind legless kid in Africa.

*9.5/10

Not perfect, but the best year I’ve ever experienced. Doubled my income, went to countless great parties, met many beautiful people, multiple bucket list items crossed off (sky diving etc.), got my motorcycle liscence, took my relationship to the next level, got a new car, saw Derek Jeter’s last game in 3 different stadiums, traveled. And most importantly, grew tremendously as a person.

.5 subtration for cancelling a vaction due to work, and putting off the exams due to work

9/10. Best year of my life in hindsight. Started with a beautiful, healthy baby girl, passed Level 2, and made a highly desired career move. I only say in hindsight becuase in the thick of things it seems so stressful, although we never looked at the baby as a stressor. But studying with a baby and having both parents work while looking for reliable/knowledgeable childcare was definitely stressful. Overall, lots accomplished but never complacent.

Yes tennis. I played on the pro circuit for a little while (mainly futures/satellites/challengers) and got to 700 in the world so I don’t know what my NRTP rating is, probably 5.0+? Not sure actually.

Important context.

4, rough year.

5 with a standard deviation of 4.

10/10 because everone is healthy. Just give me health and opportunity i will take care of the rest

2*pi out of 10 for me (for non-rational and transcendental reasons).

This year is a marked improvement over recent years, but still have a lot of overhang of crappy stuff from past years that makes it harder to enjoy, and it will take time to work off those things. However, my health is still decent (knock on wood), and positive momentum should continue into 2015 so I am more optimistic about my personal prospects than I have been for some time.

I expect the tailwinds in my life in 2014 to continue in 2015.

Well I’d certainly hope they wouldn’t suddenly stop on January 1st…

Best year ever; income touched crazy-stupid levels, then retired, now I just trade stocks and workout, still no babies thank god, awesome Asian wife, no America.

I’ll give myself an 8.5 for the year, which is the highest i’d give myself in the last 10 years, maybe 14 years.

Highlights include:

A) Successful transition from small business owner to corporate finance role at a large company. It’s a miracle that I even got offered a job given my " non-traditional" resume. Their words, not mine.

B) 3rd year anniversary, reasonably strong marriage to another succesful and intelligent professional

C) Significant progression in skills and knowledge

• (CFA level 1 material, which I should have had years ago)
  • Excel
  • Soft skills (being concise at the right time)

D) Good time management: only played 30 hours of video games in the last 4 months of the year

E) Got to buy big gifts for my friends - For the last ten years, my friends have been very generous in sharing their “hobbies”. I’m glad I financially contributed so that I wouldn’t feel like a mooch.

I am deducting 1.5 point out of 10 for

A) Failing the CFA exam, which I was sure I was going to pass given my pace of studying. What can I say? I was focusing on my new job :frowning:

B) Misplaying my hand the first two months on the job, which finished strong though.

How old are you?

I’d give myself a 5 -

• Workwise: Probably the most boring trading year ever, i.e. of course excluding nice pickup we saw October onwards. But overall trading could have been wayyyy better and it doesn’t help when your boss makes a new guy to sit with you more frequently than ever. Maybe I’ll appreciate the value of mentoring newbies in later years but it’s nowhere near my priority list right now. On the bright side I got to trade single stocks, indices and commodities, in different markets, which is brilliant from a learning standpoint.

• Personally: Started dating this amazing russian girl with whom I’m spending every non-trading hour of my day. Previously I’d need my own space and time - e.g. going to the gym for atleast an hour after work to clear my head, etc etc. Now, it’s a different story - lets see how it plays out.

• Qualifications, etc: Used to think you don’t need qualifications to make money as a trader but in 2014 i decided to go out and get some anyway. So passed FRM Part 1, waiting on CFA 1 results (if I pass this time I’ll sit for IMC too) and got risk limts for multiple exchanges/products around the world.

All in all, I wish 2014 was better but I’m bullish on 2015. I hope to start similar thread end of this year and give myself a 10 :slight_smile:

Best of luck everyone!