Reflect Your Respect

I think the problem most people have with this is the typical one sidedness of Islamic cultural acceptance. We have to dress to their standards in their countries but they come over here and refuse to remove a facial covering. The west accepts their right to religion in our countries, but Christians in the Middle East are routinely murdered or in some cases of converted former Muslims, they are executed by the state. Where is the respect for the European culture and World Cup tradition? They actively campaigned and bid to have this Western cultural event within their nation only to overshadow it with their own narrow mindedness, where’s their respect for Western codes of dress at the event? It’s always one sided. I dated a Kuwaiti for about 6 months while she was in Kuwait and Egypt and the culture has some bright spots, but they are few and far between.

Middle Easterners often talk about how young their nations are to excuse rampant barbarism, but celebrate how old their cultures are. Just because you change the name or borders of your sovereign entity does not give you free reign to forget history and act like an asshole for the next 50 years.

And since people brought up slavery in the US, its worthwhile to note that most African and Middle Eastern nations didn’t jump on the abolition bandwagon until about a 100 years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline#1900.E2.80.93present.

Not to mention the more practical but unrealted issues that you can’t drink outside hotel bars and it’ll be roughly 110 degrees Farenheit during the games at that time of year.

They’re talking about moving it to January or something so that the summer heat isn’t a problem.

^ That’s a joke, right? I thought they were just planning schedule games during “cooler” hours.

It won’t happen but January could be a great time to have a World Cup…all players in midseason form…

^Nope. But they don’t want it to interfere with the holiday season, so Nov-Dec are out. And they don’t want it to interfere with the Olympics Dallas Cowboys playoff games, so Jan-Feb are out.

Great post Black Swan.

Agree with almost everything you said but when you say stuff like this it comes across as really ignorant and pompous mate. The key is in the word ‘World’.

Also, I know nowt about slavery timelines especially in America and i’m not sure anyone brought it up but for the better part of those 100 years i’m pretty sure they were treated as nothing but a level above second class citizens.

Isn’t that why the whole civil rights movement exploded as late as the 1950’s and people like Luther and Malcolm X came to fore?

Yup, It is a joke. FIFA’s mistake. One of the most powerful organizations in the world as well as the most corrupt. Sepp Blatter must be laughing his way to the banks. If they wanted to to take the world cup to the middle east they should’ve waited for Oman to make a bid or Lebanon to become finanically strong enough to do so.

They want to shift the world cup to winter which will coincide with domestic leagues throughout Europe. Those organizations have quite a bit of weight behind them too. If they band together and refuse i can see fireworks.

What country are these people supporting? Honduras?

^

Paraguay. That chick became famous. Her name is Larissa Riquelme i think…

She looks portuguese.

Recalls exact name of underwear model from memory. Tries to hide with “I think…”

From a quick Google with safesearch on, she is smoking hot. I will have to do another search once I get home…

Ha ha, she became world famous when she offered to run through the streets naked if Paraguay win.

Inspired performance by the paraguayans that night (If indeed it is the same girl) :wink:

Trust me, you won’t be dissapointed.

Oh my goodness. I went to the world cup in South Africa and I am an avid football fan. How did all this slip past me for 4 years? Thank God for AF. Will search for her video at COB today. According to wikipedia, she’s dating some Paraguayan player. Come on girl. She needs to take a monkey bar course from Anara Atanes.

How much does World mean World for the World Series? World is marketing. The first World Cup (1930) was Latin America, US, and a few European countries. Still called itself World Cup. No Africa, no Asia, no Middle East.

And in footballing and present context? The world cup has been played in Europe. South America, Africa, Asia and North America.

The competition itself has a team from every continent barring Antartica. So perhaps the word ‘World’ is more than justified here?

On a completely different not, there is that word ‘marketing’ again. This is football mate, the game sells itself. It needs no marketing.

Eh, pretty sure Manchester United spends millions of dollars to advertise their merchandise all over the world…

Stop debating; post more pics.

Larissa Riquelme looks like she could use a good motorboat.

The game, Not Manchester United.

Interesting point though,

When cable telivision hit developing/ emerging countries for the first time and countries started getting exposed to other sports it shoud’ve been American sports which capitalized. They were the ones with the biggest T.V deals, the leagues they played in were the richest at that time and they had the might of American capitalism behind them.

Their marketing strategies were more advanced, they poured their own money into other countries to build those games at the grassroot levels yet it was the English Premier Legue which completely ran away with it.

I stand by my theory no matter how sentimental it might seem, Football has something elemental about it that you can almost reach out and touch and no amount of marketing can ever package that and sell it.

It’s either there or it isn’t.