Relocating

^Vegas really? And Phoenix is a joke in the summer. The heat is absurd. I love Seattle but you need to like the cool temps.

Omaha, NE?

Just a thought. you know, the big man’s 80+…

Omaha is actually not that bad. I don’t think I would want to live there but it’s far less of a joke than I imagined before going in May. Probably the winters are brutal though.

I’m from Seattle and would not live there again though it does have several nice qualities.

What’s good in Charleston / Charlotte? Never been to either.

Charlotte’s gorgeous; if the project on which I was consulting there for 16 months had continued, I’d have moved to Charlotte in a heartbeat.

Of the choices you mentioned originally, I’d consider the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe. A week from Saturday there’s a 100-mile endurance ride that starts just North of Lake Tahoe, crosses the Sierra Nevada, and ends in Auburn, CA (24 hours later). I want to do that ride just once; the country there is unparalleled in beauty.

^I grew up in the middle of nowhere in this aforementioned “beauty”… it’s the most boring place in the world.

Bromian, your in L.A.right now, right? What kind of strategy are you running?

I’m in the Bay Area. It’s a long / short fund with a very specialized mandate that’s hard to explain in a sound bite. It’s like speed chess in a way.

Few people seem to love the city they are from lol

Texas is looking good but I won’t know until I spend a weekend in each city on a short list to make a decision. That’s why I want to narrow it down to 2-3 top candidates first. I’m intrigued by the South and it’s the only part of the country I haven’t thoroughly explored, only been to Atlanta and a couple of places in Tennessee.

Charlotte is nice but it’s very redneck. Raleigh/Cary is better and has more diversity of people. You could buy sweet house for 500k in either place. Don’t go to Atlanta.

NOLA might be worth a look as well. Growing entrepreneurial base and decent prices if you dont mind the occaisonal flooding. Very investor friendly still.

Housing cost isn’t cheap if you want to live in an area where you aren’t likely to get shot.

Bro, I’ll show you around Houston if you wind up down here. Show you how I’d live if I were a BSD like yourself.

Tampa would be a good choice. I lived there for three years and now live in Winter Park about an hour and a half from Tampa. For a small city there are quite a few investment professionals that base themselves there. The cost of living is very reasonable, close to the beaches, three pro sports teams and plenty to do for a smaller city. The lifestyle is pretty unbelievable when I think about it. The winters are incredible while the summers can be hot but cooler than central Florida because you are near the water. The other downside is potential hurricanes although Tampa is relatively well protected based on historical weather patterns.

I hate Miami - could never live in South Florida.

Tampa has University of South Florida and University of Tampa in terms of major universities. Both are decent schools where you could pull some interns.

False.

Housing isn’t cheap beacuse there isn’t much land. That’s very true. But Louisiana and New Orleans have been giving out tax credits to people starting businesses like crazy . If Bro hired a couple people, he may get qualify for some. The NOLA housing market is on fire lately, it’s has a few people worried it may be another bubble. But it also may be a change in the supply/demand, which would be a good thing.

And in terms of finance, he’d have a monopoly from LSU and other schools like Tulane. No one from the state in finance gets to stay there and work in the field lol

Connecticut is pretty good

DC - Moderate climes, and tons of young people. NC has both Duke and UNC nearby as well as the moderate climes.

You missed the low COL requirement lol

I think you gotta strongly consider Raleigh or Cary, not Chapel Thrill. It checks all the boxes you have up there.

WRT Austin - Let me make a commercial for the great state of Texas.

First, there are NO income taxes. There is a franchise tax for businesses, but it’s still smaller than the income taxes you’ll pay elsewhere. Texas is also ranked very high (along with Idaho and Utah) as being extremely business-friendly.

Austin has the highest cost of living in the state, but it’s still quite a bit cheaper than the northeast or west coast.

Austin is very hot and very humid in the summer. The last summer I spent in San Antonio (2010), it was 100 degrees for 100 days. And the humidity hovers at 70% year-round. Very sticky. However, the spring and fall is nice, and it rarely freezes. In fact, I hardly ever used a jacket other than a hoodie (maybe once or twice a year).

Austin is in the middle of the Texas Hill County, which has lots of lakes, rivers, hills, etc. There’s a lot of outdoorsy stuff to do. Austin has lots of bike paths, running paths, and even a frisbee golf course. And of course, with a metro area of almost 2 million people, you’re going to have a variety of restaurants and what not. Sixth Street is also one of the most popular party venues in the US.

If you need a college educated population, Austin is less than 100 miles from UTSA, one of the very few non-hacksawed institutions in the US. But if you want to slum it a little closer to home, UT-Austin has a full-time MBA program, for what that’s worth.

The airport in Austin isn’t that great. It’s certainly no O’Hare or DFW. You can expect a layover at most destinations.

Personally, I don’t like Austin. Too many of Sweep’s “fedora-tipping, scarf wearing hipsters” who are always trying to convince you to eat organic and save whales and trees. I reatly prefer Fort Worth or San Antonio, since I’m more of a suburbs kind of guy, with relatively simple tastes. But of the major cities in Texas, Austin is probably the most city-like.

on your list i like austin and the lake tahoe both of those are pretty sweet. surprised you dont have denver on there (much, much better than SLC IMO), 300+ days of sunshine, world class skiing, snowboarding, hiking, fishing, CU/CSU/DU to pull labor, low COL, lot going on in the city (but not overbearring like nyc, chicago, etc.)

I know a few people whose families haved moved to NC and like it. Raleigh/Charlotte are two of the biggest airports in the country. The research triangle is awesome for young people I hear too.