Restaurant Annoyances

I hate when there is an automatic gratuity for large parties.

yes. to take it further, if you like the restaurant, you should leave soon after you’re done actively eating/drinking because if everybody who walked through the door sat at a table providng the restaurant with no revenue for 1-2 hours after eating/drinking, particularly at dinner time, the place is going under.

you are personally destroying all of the restaurants you frequent.

as for pet peeves. overly loud music or bad acoustics that amplify everyone’s conversations. this can ruin a dining experience even if the food and service is spectacular.

aside from that, hiring quality service and kitchen staff should cover almost all other peeves. you’ll never get it 100% right in this regard.

oh one other thing. when the waiter/waitress asks if you want flat or sparkling water and you say flat and they bring you fancy reverse osmosis water for $5 a glass when you thought you were receiving you know, regular filtered tap water for free. having to argue with the waiter/waitress to remove a $20 charge for water makes the experience less enjoyable than it should be. this has happened twice to me in the past year and its annoying, particularly because i live in a smaller city where upcharging for this kind of stuff is completely unexpected and unheard of.

One of the most annoying things is when you’re presented with a drink menu, or a menu/special board that doesn’t have prices on it. I’m not going to order something without knowing the price, and I don’t really want to have to bother asking because it wastes time and also run the risk of the employee telling you the wrong amount.

I, for one, like Emichan a lot more than Robertucla.

Just wanted to get that out there.

Being seated at a table right next to another couple when there are plenty of open spaces abound. And vice versa, having another party seated right next to mine when there is clearly a lot of room. How about some privacy when obviously available. Sheesh.

Can’t comment on liking one of them more, but I definitely agree with emichan here.

I too would like to clutter up this thread by agreeing with both Greenie and roberto. This useless clutter could be avoided if there was only some way to give an upvote to emichan and downvote Robertucla. Hopefully technology will one day provide an answer.

Yes, because your finance-bro movie quote was so much more interesting.

This would get a downvote for me – I liked the quote.

^This.

I see that Robertucla has been roundly castigated for drawing the exact wrong lesson from my Starbucks example. Let me join STL in adding to the clutter. Also, note to Greenie, I like the subtle ways in which you keep enticing Emichan. Please don’t comma stop :slight_smile:

My pet peeve is when their internet site doesn’t contain prices on it. I want to know the prices before I show up.

What’s your problem man?

Loitering at a table, especially after you’ve paid your check and people are waiting for tables is such a Dbag move. If you need to converse at the table for 4 hours, then you should be eating a 13 course meal that takes that long.

I work on the side as a restaurant evaluator. Most people know the industry by the term of ‘mystery shopper.’ At any rate, if I was you I’d 100% recommend using this. If you aren’t familiar with how this industry works with restaurants, PM and I’ll explain from my perspective. I wouldn’t have a restaurant chain without one

things i dont like:

1. tiny portions for anorexic people
  2. no “chef special” dishes
  3. slow drink service
  4. slow check service
  5. tables too close
  6. have less than 2 bahrooms
  7. the bathrooms need to be unisex
  8. no option to make reservations online
  9. fake dish pictures on website/menu/yelp
  10. ugly/cheap decor
  11. bad bartenders
  12. small drink menu (if you serve beer have something besides bud, coors, corona, amstel)
  13. no autographed picture of numi on the wall

Never encountered either. Is that a Canadian thing?

Maybe it is.

Right now I’m looking at the site of the place I’m going later in the week and it contains no prices on its menu. At the bottom of the page in the fine print I see:

“* Prices may vary by location and are subject to change.”

Yet, when I filter for my city it’s the same menu with the same fine print and no prices.

I see how that can be frustrating. Maybe try to gauge how high end this place is by décor pictures? That will give you an idea of price range.

sounds like tgi fridays