Schweser will NOT be enough

I like how the guy that passed using Schweser notes is the one telling no one to use schweser. Each test is different; fixed income was a bitch on this exam. It could and will be completely different in December. Read Schweser all the way through once. Skim through it all again. Do Q bank questions till you can answer them without reading the questions all the way through. You will be fine.

Schweser + CFAI EOC + IFT Video (you can use 2011) where you feel concepts are weak = success

That strategy was for Level 1. I used the curriculum for level 2, including all EoC, Blue Box, etc…, along with 3rd party videos to hammer in the core concepts.

Different strategies work for different individuals…I am one that needs to know everything so I used a strategy of…

Reading CFAI books front to back…

Highlighting the important points…

Rewriting these important points in notebooks (350 pages+) and reading them while go back and forth on the subway everyday. This I felt helped the most.

Using Schweser only for the Q-Bank…doing a test everyday (25 questions on the subject I was studying at the moment, and the next day 50 questions on everything I studied up until that point)

I did two Schweser mocks and the two CFAI mocks…

Disagree with OP.

Schweser is enough for L1; not more, not less. I struggled trying to balance a full-time job with studying the in-depth CFAI material. Of course, used CFAI for EOC questions, but that’s about it. The text in CFAI is very detailed and unless you need to strengthen your understanding about a core concept, I’d think twice before jumping into the material.

Have to agree with Hard Dollars. Schweser was enough for me to pass this time.

bump

Schweser MORE than enough for levels 1, 2, 3

A lot of people on this forum recommend that CFAI EOC questions and BB questions are a MUST. Its simply not true. I think there is a tendency for candidates that are very thorough, dedicated, and over prepare to post on AF (or even create an acct and visit AF).

Those that are concerned only with passing the exams, and don’t care about “learning”, go with strictly Schweser route. Naturally, most of those candidates don’t spend extra time posting advice on this forum.

So I take it what you’re saying is that reading the CFAI material is more for those who really want to learn everything but purely for the purposes of passing the exam, then Schweser notes will suffice (even if that may mean non-stellar but still passing scores on the sections and maybe not the most thorough undesrtanding of topics)?

I think there was maybe one question I didn’t know because Schweser didn’t cover it, but with the material at half the length that is a good ROI. For Level 1 I used a fair bit of Khan Academy to supplement when I didn’t understand some concepts.

For all three levels, I might add.

@snakesnake

Studying strictly from Schweser does not mean you’ll barely pass. Material in their notes covers just about everything in the exam. Its not only shorter, but more efficient. CFAI is wordy and unnecessarily lengthy. Its hard for your brain to absorb thousands of pages.

Are you implying with your last line that Schweser alone will not work for level 2 or 3?

I have no idea, as of now I’m only going to use Schweser for Lv2. It was more of my stance on Lv1 above.

I studied with schweser for all 3 levels about 90% of the time. 10% CFAI

It seems that understanding the subtleties in the wording of each question is imperative to passing, espeicially for those multiple choice questions that have more than one right answer and you have to find the “most correct” answer. I would recommend at least going over the CFAI EOC’s in order to understand how the questions are worded.

Schweser will do the trick for all 3 levels. If you understand everything in the notes you won’t have a problem passing. The only tricky portion is the AM essay section of the 3rd exam. For that, I recommend plenty of practice and review of guideline answers.